X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nuke Power
    Banned
    • Dec 2008

Sub ESC Issue

Im having issues with the a twin esc drive utilizing counter rotating motors. The ESCs are hooked into channel 3 using a y connector. I have tried reprogramming the esc but thats not working well. When I put the throttle fwd only one motor spins until I give it full throttle then both spin. In reverse it is exactly the opposite. Its really starting to make me contemplate genocide. Any technical advice is great or do you think I have defective units?
    Last edited by Nuke Power; 02-24-2009, 10:15 PM. Reason: your stupid curse word editor
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
    Im having issues with the a twin esc drive utilizing counter rotating motors. The ESCs are hooked into channel 3 using a y connector. I have tried reprogramming the esc but thats not working well. When I put the throttle fwd only one motor spins until I give it full throttle then both spin. In reverse it is exactly the opposite. Its really starting to make me contemplate genocide. Any technical advice is great or do you think I have defective units?
    Ok why are you connecting the ESCs?????

If you want two motors counter rotating this can be done via one ESC, with a reversal of polarity on one of the motors to the ESC.

Keep it simple!
    John
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

By the way I certainly don't think your ESCs are defective - most ESCs I know of and use for marine applications are not designed to be linked to the RX by a Y harness.

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

Well this WTC is being built for someone else who requested twin esc drive motors so they can install this mixing unit from harbor models that will automaticlly reverse the throttles with rudder input to allow the boat to turn on itself. I was trying it out on the Y conector first just to see if everything works and it would seem I am stricking out here.

Comment

• Nuke Power
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

well i got it figured out. 1 of the ESC was a doa. It will only function in fwd. Rev results in a flashing red light. Mr Caswell can I exchange this thing out buddy?

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

well i got it figured out. 1 of the ESC was a doa. It will only function in fwd. Rev results in a flashing red light. Mr Caswell can I exchange this thing out buddy?
            You might have killed that ESC with the Y linkage.
            Using two ESCs together on the one channel I have seen used in surface ships with a mixer like the one you described....BUT

- The ESCs don't simply Y connect to the RX - they go via the Mixer.
            -AND the ESCs that work with these mixers tend to be of the older relay type.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

im not sure how a Y adapter would affect performance of the esc?

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

im not sure how a Y adapter would affect performance of the esc?
                Any electrical device not used as intended can have consequences to its performance.

As I stated before, some ESCs are simply not designed to be connected together via Ys to the RX. The mixer you mentioned acts as the conduit btw the ESCs and the RX therefore guiding the mix of throttle / polarity etc required. Also if the ESCs have BECs active - you might find you have to turn off the switch on one of the ESCs.

Before you do anything fit the mixer as intended - then retry.

What brand are the ESCs?
                What does the harbour models mixer instructions say?
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

By the way - what sub is this going into?

One thing I learnt from David M relates to my desire with my Oberon to have independent shafts. David correctly pointed out that having independent shaft controls on twin screw subs for the purposes of manoeuvring via a shaft ahead and a shaft astern will not work as intended unless the shafts are parallel.

My Oberon had canted shafts - that is they were angled from the boat outwards towards the stern. If the boat you are working on has canted shafts - reversing one shaft and a head on the other will not cause the boat to turn more sharply as the thrust line from each screw is not parallel to the boat.

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

The WTC is being made for a 1/32 type 7. The twin throttle will work on this boat as I have seen it in action before.
                    Did you know I offer a more accurate sonar dome for the oberon?

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

The WTC is being made for a 1/32 type 7. The twin throttle will work on this boat as I have seen it in action before.
                      Did you know I offer a more accurate sonar dome for the oberon?
                      Which Oberon - mine is 1/72 scale and the sonar dome for the RAN version was spot on.

If its that big (1/32 scale), dump the mixer idea and get the client to use two ESCs on two separate channels. Way less complicated and tonnes more fun to drive.

I have done a turn key on 1/72 scale ship and the client paying me thousands would not spend a dime on a decent radio system. He too wanted the mixer route on twin screws. I suggested he buy the F14 Robbe Twin stick - he went for a simple 2 channel job and has I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!ed and complained for years about it not being set up right - each to their own!

J
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                        Which Oberon - mine is 1/72 scale and the sonar dome for the RAN version was spot on.

If its that big (1/32 scale), dump the mixer idea and get the client to use two ESCs on two separate channels. Way less complicated and tonnes more fun to drive.

I have done a turn key on 1/72 scale ship and the client paying me thousands would not spend a dime on a decent radio system. He too wanted the mixer route on twin screws. I suggested he buy the F14 Robbe Twin stick - he went for a simple 2 channel job and has I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!I wear PINK underwear!ed and complained for years about it not being set up right - each to their own!

J
                        Nice underwear, John ...

... welcome to my world.

David,
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

AH Sierra Hotel India Tango it!
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Nov 2008

AH Sierra Hotel India Tango it!
                            Mike, they're already devising ways to get around your 'sware checker'.
                            Gotta love Human-enginuity! :D
                            Last edited by toppack; 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM.
                            Rick L.
                            --------------------------------------------
                            * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                            Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

J
                              Well that sounds familiar. He is using a polk tracker 2. Didnt want to spend the extra to get the f14. I thought about just using the dials for the throttles but thought it might be a bit weird to drive. Oh well. I contacted M tronics and they said I might have turned off reverse by accident... otherwise they said send it to them and they will check for me. Great...shipping to Britain. That will set my delivery back about a month plus and I have another build coming in. Shot me in the PINK UNDIE AWARD! head! No david you cant do it either! Go wash your panties!
                              Last edited by Kazzer; 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...