X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyraola
    Ensign
    • Jan 2009

RCABS seals

I am currently working on the Revell U-boot type VII model that uses RCABS as diving system.
    I´ve been working with seals provided by Caswell for motor shafts penetrations and found that they are adequate to keep the vacuum inside the WTC when the V-cup joint is replaced by an O-ring type joint.

It has to be taken into account that even with the submarine in surface the WTC is nearly underwater and that helps to keep the vacuum for a very long time. After some tests with both type of seals I found that O-rings keep the WTC water tight when under vacuum and sumerged , but V-cup seals are not water tight under the same conditions.

Eduardo
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Do you have any photos or diagrams of your setup? It would be interesting to see how you organised things. How did you do the rudder?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• eyraola
      Ensign
      • Jan 2009

RCABS seals

I am currently working on the rudder linkages . I will post some pictures shortly.

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by eyraola
        After some tests with both type of seals I found that O-rings keep the WTC water tight when under vacuum and sumerged , but V-cup seals are not water tight under the same conditions.

Eduardo
        Very curious, it seems that the V-cup type would make a better seal, when there's higher external water pressure??? Could it be that the V-cup seals were put in backwards or damaged some way?
        One advantage of O-ring seals is that they seal equally in both directions, but the V-cup type will also if you use the 2-way type or install 2 of the single type back-to-back, which makes a better seal.
        Last edited by toppack; 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM.
        Rick L.
        --------------------------------------------
        * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
        Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Educate me guys what is a V cup seal?

John
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

Here ya Go, Mate:
            Rick L.
            --------------------------------------------
            * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
            Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Thanks yes I have used these before (about 5 yrs back) not these specific ones but similar.
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• eyraola
                Ensign
                • Jan 2009

RCABS seals

I accept that I initially installed the joints without checking the position of the V-cup joints, and then I found that they were leaking when the WTC was underwater. Then I replaced the V-cup by O-rings and it worked.

With the room available inside the brass seals I am not sure if I can install double side V-cups .

Comment

• Ironhorse
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Feb 2009

Double V seals

Hello there: In fact I used two of those v shaped neoprene things in the propeller shaft of my Trumpeter Seawolf.One each end,ie the regular one into the brass seal and the other one just opposite into the poliuretane cap.Result: =0 leaks

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

Yes you should not be experiencing a leak with those cup seals. They seal better as the difference in pressure increases. They were either installed improper or perhaps has a tear in them or were not seated properly.. just my 2 cents. toppack actually got this one right :)

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

I am experimenting with a RCABS cylinder right now, utilising a separate air space from the main engineering section of the WTC.

J
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Ironhorse
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Feb 2009

Too much vacuum is dangerous and ....Not needed

Hi Slats:
                        In my short experience I have learned that the amount of air needed to achieve a marked positive bouyancy is quite small.Also the size of the bladder is of prime consideration.Anyway is better to suck air from the part of the WTC were the pump,batteries and receiver are located and not from were the prop and pushrod seals are.

Best regards from Spain

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ironhorse
                          Hi Slats:
                          Anyway is better to suck air from the part of the WTC were the pump,batteries and receiver are located and not from were the prop and pushrod seals are.

Best regards from Spain
                          Aren't the two areas connected with a tube to house the wiring?
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Ironhorse
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Feb 2009

Hi Kazzer: You are dead right and is a very good practice (I think) to seal the hole in the cap were the wires exit with RTV.The goal is not to stress the neoprene seals with the vacuum.

As I told before my experience is limited in the area of RC subs but anyway is better to use common sense and caution and learn from experience and read the excellent contributions of the members of this forum.

This branch of RC is wonderful!!!!

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                              Aren't the two areas connected with a tube to house the wiring?
                              Not on my setup.
                              All electrical connections penetrate the sealed air supply using brass rods going through the endcaps. These feed the clippard valve and the pump inside. There is no vacuum therefore on any WTC section containing moving parts. The only seals are the end caps to this section.

John
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...