Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

They have agreed to give me 20% off a new one. Its on the way.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I received and installed it proper. I took some time out yesterday and started her up. That .82 engine has a whole different sound and note from the other smaller engines that I have so many of. Its actually quite intimidating.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Ok , this past weekend we got two boats down to the lake. The fuel that I was using is old and had lost its punch. Therefore the boat was kinda slow and unresponsive but we still had a good time. Next time Ill have some fresh 30% Nitro fuel and you will see the difference. I had to keep the glow plug ignitor attached to keep it running.
        This 82 powered 45 usually screams but I think that the fuel has lost its punch. I had to keep the glow plug attached to keep her running.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Continuing to adjust and tune. Experimenting with different needle valve settings and prop sizes.
          A short run to test out a prop change. Brought it in to try a different prop.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Now, this is for real. When you are too lazy to use the inflateable boat that you brought with you to retrieve a dead boat you do these kinds of things. Only after you have water up to your upper thigh do you realize that your company cell phone is in your left front pocket and it just took a soaking. You can kinda tell by the body language.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bOs...=UL6Svv7RXlsm0

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Here she is running good. Ive been out with it since this video was taken and I no longer need to leave the glow plug ignitor attached as she seems well broken in by now. I am now slowly incresing prop size until I find one that gives the best combination of speed and drivability. Presently I have a slightly cut down Octura three blade X450 on her but I think I need to continue to increase. The next one we will try is a X452 two blade and we will note the difference. The props are about $20 each so you dont just go down to the hobby store and buy a dozen different sizes. This motor should pull a X455 three blade normally but Ive always had to run the motor and prop down lower into the water to keep this boat running well trimmed. That means more drag on the prop and therefore it wont be able to pull as big of a prop. These props are of the surface piercing variety which means that some of the prop runs above the water and therefore there is not as much drag on the motor.
              Last edited by greenman407; 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I took the day off of working on the Skipjack to sharpen and balance a couple of propellers for the 13cc outboard on the predator. Im looking for a little more speed(as usual). You just have to keep going up or down in propellor sizes until you find improvement. Here I have a Octura 1460 prop on the balancer. After that I will give the Octura X460 the same treatment. The difference between the two props is that the 1460 is a lifting prop while the X460 is not, although they have the same pitch and diameter.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 293.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	84063

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

I spotted a 11cc outboard on Ebay and picked it up. Outside it looks identical to the 13cc. However, K&B did an interesting thing. They used the same case for the 11cc, 13cc and there 1.0 c.i. Thats all well and good.................except. The fuel transfer ports that run up the side of the sleeve get smaller and smaller the larger the cylinder gets. Bottom line the ports are sized correctly for the 11cc but are too small for the 13cc and really too small for the 1.0c.i. Fuel flow is therefore restricted. Not good. So, this new motor, should give us more RPM and torque. We will continue to wring out the 13cc first. Then we will switch over to the 11cc.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

This boat is now for sale on EBAY. Check it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231612309689...84.m1555.l2649

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

I sold the 13cc outboard motor to a guy in Washington state that I have been doing business with on Ebay. I obtained a 11cc motor to put in its place. Ive been toying around with the idea of purchasing a new Aeromarine 7.5 Predator hull and just starting over. Unfortunately I hear Aeromarine is not doing so well and its hard to get anything from them. Well...............I got time.................I guess.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

So here we are with the New 11cc motor install. While Im at it I am re-doing servos and receivers and seals and.............did I mention servos? Oh yes ....and a little epoxy paint.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Here is the 11cc tuned pipe that I will install...............someday. Its from 707 Specialtys. Joe Monahan is a Great helpful guy to be sure. Now its not the prettiest pipe that Ive seen but the performance is highly regarded. Maybe someday he will tidy it up a bit.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Ive also got a anti-cavitation plate to go on it as well. Its purpose is transfer some of the force of the water coming off of the prop at high speed to help push up on the stern and push down on the nose. Also to help me do this is a new prop. Its an Octura 1452. Its a lifting prop.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

At any rate I started up the brand new engine a couple of weeks ago and started the break in procedure. I run them on the bench and I plumb water to them to keep them cool. Because the prop has no load on it you have to keep the RPMs down. After just a few minutes running, the engine smoothed out and started running more reliably. I ran a tank of fuel thru it, so its ready for the water. Ill get it broke in well before I start carving up the lower end to install the tuned pipe.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

A couple of weeks ago I got this boat and the Aerotech into the water. I took it to my favorite location for high speed runs. Plenty of open space. Its a drainage canal for east Tampa. Not good enough to run model subs but good for race boats. Here we can see the Aeromarine with the Big 11cc nitro outboard motor. Thats a lot of motor for that hull......as you can see. In the turns it gets flighty. I blew it over once but the camera man missed it. So I retrieved it and made some prop height and angle adjustments and she calmed right down. Id say its ready for the tuned pipe install. I got a video ill put up soon.

Comment

Working...