X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Surface piercing propellors

If you have read any of my Race Boat Posts , then you will probably recall that I have spoken before about the advantages of "Surface Piercing Props". Here is a short video showing a popular race boat drive system called "Arneson" after the company owner and designer. Here is a 40 foot Skater showing the drives. In the footage you can clearly see ,after a few minutes, the props coming clean up out of the water while under way. This allows them to "Unload" and spin with much less resistance. This gives much greater RPM and therefore more thrust. Seeing is Believing.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 11-14-2016, 09:35 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

Also known as "Surface effect props" Really fast (and also fuel consuming). Specially indicated for leisure boats. I made some search about them when selecting propulsion system for one of our marine reserves fleet boat, and resulted in a quite expensive system with relatively short life period (500 / 600 hours; we use to make some 1.500 a year) and expensive maintenance and repairs. But no doubt about the high speeds you can achieve and the spectacular wiew when at work.

Comment

Working...