Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buellman1
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2013

While I'm here, may as well make an update to progress on the other builds... zilch... no progress. 2014 was spent fighting with my baby mama, seeing attorneys, working and taking care of my child. The Gato needs paint still, both nautilus' sit as seen in last pictures. And now I may concentrate on this ship to get something done, as it seems reasonably simple...

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1
      Ok, so, some proposed methods have been tried and only thing working so far is finger nail scraping. .. but there's one deck that has a diamond grate pattern that's being stubborn. No chemicals or nails have removed it yet...
      Looks like you have the solution then! Scrape away! Unfortunately the rubber has been vulcanized and that's like epoxy, once you've mixed it up, it's more difficult to get solvents to soften it. Then you don't want the solvent to be too severe, otherwise the underlying plastic will suffer. A few ounces of Patience should fix it.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Buellman1
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2013

Ok, so final solution was to pull out the Visa card... Not to purchase another kit, but it was soft enough to scrape the bands off without messing up the plastic. Was also much easier on my nails. Not that I care much about their looks, but it was kinda painful. .

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1
          Ok, so final solution was to pull out the Visa card... Not to purchase another kit, but it was soft enough to scrape the bands off without messing up the plastic. Was also much easier on my nails. Not that I care much about their looks, but it was kinda painful. .
          So there you have it folks! A Thomas Edison moment. We now know what doesn't work, and what does!

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Aug 2008

I built the Nichimo Yamato a few years ago and, converted it to RC. First thing I did was get rid of that crappy fake wood deck. I replaced it with 1/16th ply. Suitably laquered and water proofed of course. If you want more photos and info of the build just say the word
            Last edited by Scarecrow7087; 07-25-2016, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Scarecrow7087 Please post all your pics! It looks fantastic!

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Aug 2008

You asked for it lad. The ship is also fitted with a smoke generator for realistic smoke from the stack. The RC is a 7ch Nautical Commander. Four motors with two on each left and right throttle controls. It takes both 12v (smoke generator) and 6v (RC) batteries.the main deck is held on by 1/4in earth magnets and, can be removed for access to the running gear etc. Though i built it so that battery charging, re-filling the smoke generator and, power switches can be accessed without removal of any decking. The charging sockets are located at both the left and right boat decks. Which are on the outside of the hull just below and foreward of the AC catapults.the power switches are located underneath the aft drill platform just to the rear of the aft main gun turret. Re-filling the smoke generator is achieved by lifting the forward secondary turret where a pour tube is located. I also added as much detailing as possible to include all of the "Gold Medal" brass etch kits plus metal main armament and secondary barrels, numerous white metal parts including all the binoculars on the bridge. I suppose it could be said that I (pardon the pun) went a bit overboard on this model. The AC that came with the kit have solid platic canopys. I was not satisfied with that soooooo. I cut off the canopy, molded another canpy from some scrap clear plastic sheet and, actually built a cockpit inside the plane. If you look closely at the photo you can see both pilot and rear gunner seats, radio, rear gunners machine gun and, pilots joystick. Yes i know nobody will see it when on the water but, I just had to do it. Altogether the build took me 18 months start to finish. Hope you like it?
                Now for my next project. I have just splashed out for the Trumpeter HMS Hood. Which promises to be even more detailed. I am giving myself 2 - 2.5 years for this one
                Last edited by Scarecrow7087; 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Nice!
                  ​Any video?
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Aug 2008

Not yet. Maybe this weekend when I get back from Vegas

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

If you are in Vegas and you have a little time to waste, call me - 702-354-9260
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Tugfan
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Nov 2010

Dave, can you check your PM's.

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          If you are in Vegas and you have a little time to waste, call me - 702-354-9260
                          Will see how things go. Supposed to be meeting our daughter and granddaughters. Im not that far from Vegas we live about 60 miles east of L.A.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

No worries, family first!
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Aug 2008

Try as I might I cannot get my video to upload. So I took a few stills from the maiden voyage. I have to admit that smoker works a little too well?
                              Last edited by Scarecrow7087; 01-12-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

I built this ship in 1978 or 1979 . You did a much better job than I on detailing her out. I wish I knew where the photos were of it, but I ran it in a small pond in Roanoke, VA. On the day I brought my camera, there was a breeze and I thought for sure it would be rough sailing with all that choppy water. The Yamato just seemed to slice through it. In fact, looked more realistic!
                                come to Yorba Linda Park (Anaheim) this Saturday (1/13/18) several guys are getting together to run some subs and there are always several surface runners. It would be great to meet you and to see your Yamato up close!

Comment

Working...