Click image for larger version

Name:	user1947_pic141891_1363119358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	102222
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

The bigger question is why? -Not the project per se the scale?
    Let me start by underlying - we're all free to choose and do want we want - hobby should be hobby but here's my take on the larger subjects based not on just observation but experience.

Folks I have built the USS Constellation's hull in 1/72 scale. Why?
    Well back when I had no kids, and abundant energy for my new model boat club at the time that was all 1/72, worked on the principle that there was abundant planes and fittings in 1/72 scale I went hell for leather after it.

What happened?

As the hull grew the project's size walked me into territory as a green entrant of the hobby that I had either assumed not worry about till later on or was fundamentally ignorant and arrogant too: - logistics and true costs.

In terms of unfinished projects, I have seen more carriers and battleships started in 1/72 with few reaching the finish line, than any other category of ship.

Big projects are impressive - don't get me wrong. But the opportunity cost (Economist speak for real cost), in time you could spend on other projects, time you could spend with family, friends, and other forms of utility maximisation (economist speak for what makes you happy), is massive. Projects on this scale can quickly be come a yoke round your neck. The fun factor can easily turn full circle. Add to the fact most guys who head down this path have given so much too it (time and effort and dollars, fights with the spouse etc), it can become very difficult to cut your losses and know when to quit.

I am quite convinced that projects this size could be done 1/144 and still have the fine detail, and bulk to impress on lookers, and give the builder the satisfaction that all should seek from the hobby.

Here endth the lesson / rant.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

A good rant too. I've never seen words put to the situation, but you described a few of my wrong turns to the T!

This activity needs a good time-study man, John. Well done. (Pajama game fan).

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

John,
        Very well said. I really understand the happy/cost expression personally and from seeing some friends mix up priorities too!
        Peace,
        Tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• herrmill
          Commander
          • Dec 2008

I agree its a tad large but then again I see all those fools driving Hummers, huge ass SUVs & tandem-axle pick-me-up trucks & have to ask myself "why?".

Perhaps this chap is simply trying to live up to the late Sir Edmund Hillary's famous words regarding Mt. Everest but with a twist: "because he can." Knowing how the Dutch love their model boats, I'd say it will be cruising the canals of Holland sometime before 2015.

Comment

• herrmill
            Commander
            • Dec 2008

Thought you folks might like seeing what this beast looks like after both ends were mated together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	user1947_pic144149_1364572469.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	77028Click image for larger version

Name:	user1947_pic144148_1364572469.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	77029Click image for larger version

Name:	user1947_pic144147_1364572469.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB