X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

1:24 Sha Chuan Junk

Finally getting around to finishing one project that's been sitting in the wings for almost 2 years on what I can truly say is nothing but a piece of junk. Its a sha chuan or "flat bottom sand" junk that was used in the area in & around Hangzhou on the local rivers & Bay.

Here are a few photos of the slow progress along with some reference points that I'm trying my best to draw from.

Lots more detailing to do plus I'm waiting for my lovely "rope machine" to return from a trip for the 20m or so needed finish rigging the beast. Am currently working on building a few windlasses along with the deck clutter that will add the character it needs with crates, barrels, urns & small sampan that will go on deck.The main sail will get a far patches on it as well with that god awful "pink" cloth - no, its not meant to be used for 'Gay Pride' week. Both main & foresail will be working off of the winch below; mizzen won't as it will be attached to a rudder.

Deck looks green in the photo from the flash but its actually medium gray but still needs washed for a proper weathered look; same will done to all exposed wood that still hasn't been touched. Hull gets repainted using hull red that I've used on the hatches & cabin to match the local reddish-browntung oil that used locally & can still be seen on the very few traditional junks still working the Qiantang River.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by herrmill; 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM.
Working...