X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rpmtech1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2009

1/48 cargo ship, BIG target!

I have been building this thing over the last few years. Its 12' long and weighs 900# full loaded with water.

Its really my own design cargo ship, with some consessions made to the hull for simplicity's sake. I pick what i like from looking at pictures of real vessels and incorporate them.

Its powered with a 24v scooter motor and chain drive, with a 7" propeller. it has 8-500gph pumps for ballasting and trimming.

I hope to be able to play with it this summer, after i get the big 1/2 scale V-2 rocket done! no room for both.

Here are a few picture, and the link to the full gallery is at the bottom.

Gallery: http://rpmtech.smugmug.com/Other/148.../8280509_BFfZv
  • oztruck
    Commander
    • May 2010

That is BIG in all ways. How do you get it wet?(into the water) Wonderful work, and a good companion for your tugs. Luv it

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rpmtech1
      I have been building this thing over the last few years. Its 12' long and weighs 900# full loaded with water.

Its really my own design cargo ship, with some consessions made to the hull for simplicity's sake. I pick what i like from looking at pictures of real vessels and incorporate them.

Its powered with a 24v scooter motor and chain drive, with a 7" propeller. it has 8-500gph pumps for ballasting and trimming.

I hope to be able to play with it this summer, after i get the big 1/2 scale V-2 rocket done! no room for both.

Here are a few picture, and the link to the full gallery is at the bottom.

Gallery: http://rpmtech.smugmug.com/Other/148.../8280509_BFfZv
      That's a great looking target.

Have to ask - why this size?
      Now don't get me wrong I have a rep for big models -
      CV64 plug and molds in 1/72 scale (4.6m long / 15.1 feet), Guiseppe Garibaldi in 1/72 (2.5m / 8.2 feet), Silver Cloud cruise ship (2.17m / 7.1 feet), but I can attest these models can be a pain in the arse (or my case back) to logistically shift from home to pond and back. But the nonetheless I am always intrigued why people build big?
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Rpmtech1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Dec 2009

When you're standing next to it you understand why big is good. Its like a floating model railroad layout.

I can carry this thing by myself. Its not heavy just awkward. You stick it in the water un-ballasted and it draws like 1/2" and floats around in the wind like a leaf.

It actually started out as a "dumb" ship ( to be built in a few weeks) just to play around with tugboats. But like usual, I get out of control and now its a full function/detail model. So to be honest it started out a lot more simple and crude in mind than it has become!
        Last edited by Kazzer; 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• herrmill
          Commander
          • Dec 2008

Love that photo of the prop! Looks like it came off a 9 horse Evinrude.

Comment

• Rpmtech1
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Dec 2009

Ohhh its even better than that. Its straight from Walmart auto section! Hey this is a fun thing, not a dead scale thing right (although topside I do go nuts). So happens that this "tow hitch ornimant" has the perfect strength for its purpose, and bore built in for a 5/16 shaft and is perfect for its job here.
            Last edited by Rpmtech1; 02-17-2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Working...