Clear All
  • worzel
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2010

Revell 1:72 VII U-Boat

Hello all

I am new to this Forum and this is my first post and my first submarine
    build.

Can some one help shed some light, I am looking into converting Revell's 1:72
    type VII U- boat. I have seen the Sub Drive uses a Ø2"(50.8mm)OD tube with
    1/8" (3.2mm) wall thickness. and also uses 2 × 280 size motors.

The problem that I see is that the internal diameter of the tube is 44.4mm
    and the diameter of the 280 size motors that I have found are 24.5mm. So
    24.5×2= 49mm width will not fit into the Ø44.4 tube.

Am I missing something or are the 280 motors (mabuchi RC-280SA) that I have found have a larger diameter that the ones used in the Sub Driver. or is the 2" referring to the
    internal diameter and not the external.

I hope this all makes sense.
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Ow bist then Worzel?

Welkum too owur vorum!

Owur Zub-dryvur d'already 'ave they thar moturz in um, so thee dun'st wanna wurry bowt it.

I be up vrum Wilshur, 'ow abowut thee? Thee bain't vrum Summerset, be ee? Zydur Zuckerz!
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Outrider
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

If you're lucky enough to have the Revell Type VII kit already, go here: http://www.caswellplating.com/models/rviic.html to get most everything you need to convert your unassembled static model into a proper R/C sub.

You could make your own WTC, but it's hardly worth the trouble. If you're a first timer, buy the assembled SubDriver and spend your efforts on getting the Revell kit converted and assembled. Put your Mabuchi motors in the spares bin. You can't really use them with a D&E/Caswell SubDriver.

Buy the assembled SubDriver, the fittings kit, the ballast kit from here: http://www.caswellplating.com/models/weights.html

You'll also need electronics. Get a receiver (I like the SL-8), and ADF, a LiPo guard, and a Low Pressure Blower (small snort pump).

I assume you have a transmitter and LiPo batteries/charger. If not, get these. You'll also need some Propel for the SubDriver.

Comment

• worzel
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jun 2010

Hi
        All I have is the kit, and have been looking into designing the drive system. I have looked at the Caswell products, but thought it would be interesting to build my own WTC, just need to spec the tube and motors before I continue with the CAD design.

I have used the online calculator on www.vivid-interface.com/online/mwpmag/mwp.htm?id=c8nD7?ID.name=MWP7464 to check my Oring compressions.

Comment

• Scarecrow7087
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Aug 2008

Just waiting with baited breath for my stuff from Caswell to arrive so I can start on my type VII. I know that I am going to need looooooot's of help on this one. Don't worry Worzel, just take 2 pints of scrumpy per hour till you have it figured out!

Comment

Working...