X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tugrat
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jun 2010

Radios

What is the best type of radio to use and which is the best spectrum (freq not model) to use

Of the freqs in use which is the best 27/29/36/40 wit hregard to range and depth and type of water

I have a F14 navy twin stick (40meg) and am thinking of using this with the rubber aerial
  • RonP-UK
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

Generally speaking the lower the frequency the better the penetration through water. The VERY best radio for subs is the old Futaba "M" series
    it was 27 meg AM and would even penetrate salt water to a reasonable depth but they have not been in production for over 30 years. For all practical purposes your F14 will be fine and should not give too many problems at reasonable depth. The thing to remember is that a sub doesnt go that deep
    in real terms. A second world war sub would dive to about 400 feet max but generally cruised much shallower than this so if you have a Revell type V11
    then about 2 feet down is not far off scale. Most modern nukes can dive to around 1000 feet so around 6 feet for the model would be a true depth.
    All that said and done if you cant see it you cant sail it so scope depth is what we try to achieve in most lakes.
    Get it wrong and you will be going home with a transmitter and a tear in your eye.

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

I checked with my supplier and it looks like they can produce radios in the following ranges - 35MHz, 36MHz, 40MHz, 41MHz, 72MHz, 75MHz

I already have some 40mhz radios in stock and of course, the 75mhz required in the USA.

So why are we using 75mhz here in the USA when it would appear to be the worst with regard to depth range? Does anyone know if we can use 35mhz? It would appear to make more sense.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
        So why are we using 75mhz here in the USA when it would appear to be the worst with regard to depth range? Does anyone know if we can use 35mhz? It would appear to make more sense.
        [/FONT]
        Mike,

Quick answer is NO. The FCC allocates frequencies for usage in the USA and the 35MHz slot is allocated to Fixed Mobile and other Mobile.

BTW, I come across this claim that 35 or 40MHz is better than 75MHz for penetrating water. I myself use 50MHz being a licensed amateur radio operator, K8XW, but the advantage is theoretical at best. Any advantage of using 35MHz over 75Mhz is probably measured in fractions of an inch if at all. Real water penetration, especially salt water, needs radio waves down in the ELF (Extra Low Frequency) band of 3Hz to 30Hz which is the band used by the 12" to the foot scale crowd.

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

Working...