APC-4 or LR2

5) Depth Control

ADC-1

5) Combined Pitch/Depth Control

LTR 5.3

6) Fail safe

FS-1

Now for the questions

I would like to try and use a Mtronkics ESC - a 10a version should be sufficent

Rather then have a separate pitch/depth control I would consider the combined unit

I have some unsued Mtronkics fail safes

Should i have the fail safe activating the reverse switch to "blow" or can I use the depth control -fail safe to blow ( if the depth control has a fail safe and I choose the Mtronkics do i need to disengage this feature)

This is to be my first sub purchase and is to be a learning curve. I am intending to take part in AUS sub regattas, possibly some TF72. I am also proposing to organise some regular sub runs in a public pool.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

who are you and which part of Australia are you from?
    J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Tugrat
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jun 2010

Geoff in Sydney
      I sail targets with STGMBC

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I would go with a larger esc 15-20A, and make sure those are continuous ratings. I believe Mtroniks rate their controllers for continuous currents, but some companies can be economic with the truth to say the least.

A leveller is quite adequate, a combined pitch and depth control is a bit OTT for this model, and I don't think you'll miss the depth controlling feature.

Can't comment on the failsafe, but you definitely want something, or just use a receiver with built in failsafes. Dual conversion receivers have been found to work better than single conversion in chlorinated swimming pools.

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Geoff Welcome,

I'd add to Andy's comment - if you use a Mtroniks ESC - don't use the BEC. Run a separate BEC.
          Have had mixed successes with Mtroniks ESC with the BEC working fine in one boat and playing up in another. All problems fixed however, by not using the onboard BEC.

Have PM'd you more details.
          J
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I would say the linear voltage regulators on the BEC's fitted to Mtroniks esc's will provide sufficient power for your model, give it a try.

Most servos draw about 1 watt of power. The BEC's on Mtroniks ESC's should comfortably give you about 5 watts of power, so providing your servos are not binding up or stalling out, you should be fine.

It's when you start hanging half a dozen servos off of the receiver buss that things start to get interesting.

Andy

Comment

Working...