X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert lipsett
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2010

two stupic questions about props and motors

First stupid question since I have not hooked up my 2 shaft 3.5 wtc. I assume that the motors are wired up to be counterrotating? I am buying some parts like probls and shafts before I finish up putting gear into the wtc. May I buy drive shafts that are slightly longer then I need and then cut off the extra where I will put the drive coupler as long as I file a flat on one side for the set screw or should I have that side threaded to bite more into the coupler?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by robert lipsett
    First stupid question since I have not hooked up my 2 shaft 3.5 wtc. I assume that the motors are wired up to be counterrotating? I am buying some parts like probls and shafts before I finish up putting gear into the wtc. May I buy drive shafts that are slightly longer then I need and then cut off the extra where I will put the drive coupler as long as I file a flat on one side for the set screw or should I have that side threaded to bite more into the coupler?

Yes, the two motors are wired in parallel to counter-rotate.

I don't understand the last part, but yes, you buy the propeller shaft stock and cut it to a suitable length -- the forward end of the shafts make up to Dumas type couplers. Typically those are a straight bore (1/8" or 3/16" holes) and are secured with a set-screw to the shaft. Yes, you'll file a flat onto the forward ends of the propeller shafts.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...