X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenson
    Ensign
    • Apr 2010

new to subs

hi guys, i am new to submarines & have been doing alot of research. i am about to order these components. just wanted to make sure this would be correct & that i would not need anything else?
    im pretty sure i will also need a remote control? any advise would be helpful

thanks
    jenson

Shopping Cart
    Product CodeProduct NamePrice EachQuantitySub-Total
    RV05045 German Submarine VIIC/41 Atlantic version $80.75 $80.75
    SHY-72005 Special Navy Type VIIC-VIID Conversion Kit $34.00 $34.00
    SDK2VII Sub Driver 2 KIT Revell VII $365.00 $365.00
    V1300X2 2 x Vislero 1300 ma 7.2V Battery with Free Charger $65.98 $65.98
    GBWVII Ballast Weights For Revell VII $9.00 $9.00
  • robert lipsett
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2010

I am new to submarines also but it looks like you will also need an adf pitch controller and a failsafe system to shut off your motor if your boat looses signal so the boat does not go sailing off on an around the world cruise. There are probably a ton of little things I still do not know about. all I can say is my shipping and handling fees are going up faster then my parts orders

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

You also need an ADF, a radio and a speed controller

see

BTRA063 RC Transmitter - 6 ch 75mhz $89.00

ESCMV10 Micro Viper ESC $39.95

AK1 Angle Driver With Failsafe $79.00
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Outrider
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

A LiPo battery guard is a worthwhile option, as it's akin to a failsafe for you battery. A receiver, however, is essential. Caswell sells several receivers, but the Sombra SL-8 is the most versatile as it has a synthetic tuner and does not need crystals.

Another consideration is Snort system that conserves the use of Propel gas, which you also need to buy. Caswell/Merriman SubDrivers have small copper tanks that must be kept charged with Propel in order to assure they will surface. Snort systems are pumps that take over some of the tasks of moving water and air around from the Propel system. (Simpler answer--just spend the $50 on Snort now and use fewer $20 Propel bottles.).

Also, you bought the Type VII weight, but not the cut to fit floatation foam. You should get both. Caswell Code: BWVIIKIT Type VII U Boat Ballast Kit $19.50

You chose to get the Type VIID conversion kit. That's an option you don't have to buy. Since the mod involves cutting the hull and inserting the new parts to lengthen the hull, you may want to reconsider the idea. It's more work and won't necessarily improve the performance or durability of the finished product.

Another thing to consider is your choice of kits for a first effort. David Merriman recommends the Trumpeter Kilo as a first kit. It's an easy build as these things go. You may find it makes sense to develop your expertise on the Kilo before progressing on to the Type VII.

This isn't a cheap hobby, especially when it concerns electronics.
        Last edited by Outrider; 04-11-2010, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...