X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert lipsett
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2010

dive plane setup question

Just to let you know my kit is 20 years old and my instructions are lost to the ravages of time. I fly 3d aircraft with throws of 45 degrees and am used to forces on the surfaces strong enough to permanently bend 2-56 push rods so submarines are a lot different then my comfort zone for radio setup. How much throw do I use for up and down movement for the fore and aft planes, ( degrees would be preferable since that is not size dependent). How does the force transfer back to the klicons without pulling them apart or should I be going appreciable slower when under water to lessen the force transmitted. Which holes on the control arm should I be using the furthest out on both the servo and the control arm or should I be moving in more on the servo or control arm to have the right geometry. How much rudder deflection should I have the sub is over 5 feet long.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by robert lipsett
    Just to let you know my kit is 20 years old and my instructions are lost to the ravages of time. I fly 3d aircraft with throws of 45 degrees and am used to forces on the surfaces strong enough to permanently bend 2-56 push rods so submarines are a lot different then my comfort zone for radio setup. How much throw do I use for up and down movement for the fore and aft planes, ( degrees would be preferable since that is not size dependent). How does the force transfer back to the klicons without pulling them apart or should I be going appreciable slower when under water to lessen the force transmitted. Which holes on the control arm should I be using the furthest out on both the servo and the control arm or should I be moving in more on the servo or control arm to have the right geometry. How much rudder deflection should I have the sub is over 5 feet long.
    Robert,

Work your linkages so that the throw of the stern planes, rudder, bow planes/sail planes do not exceed 35 degrees.

Not that much force presented by the pushrod to unseat the magnetic force of the Kli-Con's. And if so, no big deal ... what's you're submarine going to do, crash? Don't sweat it, the coupler will re-establish if temporarily unseated.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• robert lipsett
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Mar 2010

One more quick question about the dive planes. since the dive planes are on separate connecting rods coming in from the port and starboard side of the boat how are they connected together and have a control arm attached to operate them together. I can see operating one side with a control arm and keeping it off center so maybe you could use some kind of a connector to join the two dive plane shafts together or is there some king of a combination control arm connector hybrid that would both hold the to shafts together and also be a control arm. If so where would I get this type of part

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by robert lipsett
        One more quick question about the dive planes. since the dive planes are on separate connecting rods coming in from the port and starboard side of the boat how are they connected together and have a control arm attached to operate them together. I can see operating one side with a control arm and keeping it off center so maybe you could use some kind of a connector to join the two dive plane shafts together or is there some king of a combination control arm connector hybrid that would both hold the to shafts together and also be a control arm. If so where would I get this type of part
        You're looking to interconnect the two opposed control surfaces; a set of rudders and a set of stern planes -- you're problem is achieving this interconnection without interfering with the centrally running propeller shaft. Does that sum up your problem?

You make a set of 'yokes', these are either U-shaped or have a central donut hole -- both version of the yoke work to interconnect opposed control surfaces yet jump around and do not make contact with the centrally running propeller shaft. See photos below:

This is a rather generic set of yokes (rudder and stern planes). Note that in this case both yokes are U-shaped and terminate in 1/8" bore wheel-collars. The set-screws of the wheel-collars make fast the operating shaft of the control surface to which that operating shaft is attached. Note that the centrally running propeller shaft Dumas type coupler is center and free of interference. A length of aluminum 'intermediate drive shaft' interconnects between coupler and SubDriver motor output coupler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0097..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	58421

A 1/96 SEAWOLF. I'm showing off the bow plane linkage and the stern linkages. Note the complexity of the compound stern plane operating gear -- the objective to gang the inboard and outboard stern plane surfaces to operate in concert. I've also provided a shot to show how the propulsion running gear is arranged.

Name:	DSCN0008..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	58424Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0018_0001..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	58422Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0019_0001..jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	58423Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0011..jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	58425Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014..jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	58426

And here's how to make your yokes. This example presents the yokes built for the 1/16 KAIRYU suicide submarine.

Name:	DSCN0133..jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	58427Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0138..jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	58429Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0144..jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	58428

The Yokes I produce for the 1/144 Trumpeter SEAWOLF kit conversion.

Name:	DSCN0008..jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	58430Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0001..jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	58431
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• robert lipsett
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Mar 2010

thanks for the great answer. I finished cutting out and shaping new dive planes from lexan. Should I attach them to the brass rod with epoxy or should i drill a hole in the bottom and use a set screw to attach them or will the lexan not give me enough bite over time and cause the screw to not be as tight as I need to keep the planes from rotating on the rod. if I use a screw I know enough to have a flat on the brass rod

Comment

Working...