• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_mcwhite@cox.net
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2009

Charging Batteries & Power Toggle Switches

David,

I was at my local RC shop this week end and was talking to one of the salesmen about finding a power swith to use with my Sub-Driver. He didn't have anything like the Rubber Boot type you utilized. Radio shack doesn't sell them and I've tried three Electronic part shops. No one carries these switches. Can you point me to a WEB site that I can order one?

Second, the salesman showed me a device to plug into the 3 wire lead to the V1300 - 1300mAH, 7.4 volts Vislero Battieries I purchased from CASWELL, that showed the voltage between cells, and acted as a regulator (when charging) to keep each cell ballanced at the same voltage. He explained that over time the cells get unballanced and this causes the overall batery to go bad quicker. He claimed this device helps stop this. What are your thoughts on such a device? It cost about $39.

Sincerely,

Dave McWhite
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dave_mcwhite@cox.net
    David,

I was at my local RC shop this week end and was talking to one of the salesmen about finding a power switch to use with my Sub-Driver. He didn't have anything like the Rubber Boot type you utilized. Radio shack doesn't sell them and I've tried three Electronic part shops. No one carries these switches. Can you point me to a WEB site that I can order one?

Second, the salesman showed me a device to plug into the 3 wire lead to the V1300 - 1300mAH, 7.4 volts Vislero Battieries I purchased from CASWELL, that showed the voltage between cells, and acted as a regulator (when charging) to keep each cell ballanced at the same voltage. He explained that over time the cells get unballanced and this causes the overall batery to go bad quicker. He claimed this device helps stop this. What are your thoughts on such a device? It cost about $39.

Sincerely,

Dave McWhite
    We've attempted to find a source for both the toggle-switch and associated boot (both have to have the same thread, in our case, a 4-40), but the one source that provided Mike with sample did not provide matching threads, so that source was put to the curb. We're still looking for an outfit that will discount to Caswell so we can get these vital items in stock.

In the interim I suggest you check out my source for switches and boots: Cain-Priest Electronics.

Battery balancing is nice, but not vital to us as we're not hitting the battery with a high discharge C. I don't bother with a balancer -- I simply bang 'em up using the two main power cables. Up to you.

The most important thing you can do to protect your Li-po battery is to protect it against dropping below its critical voltage -- and that's done by installing one of Kevin's Litho-Guard thingies.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubCapt
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2009

Toggle Switch

Originally posted by dave_mcwhite@cox.net
      David,

I was at my local RC shop this week end and was talking to one of the salesmen about finding a power swith to use with my Sub-Driver. He didn't have anything like the Rubber Boot type you utilized. Radio shack doesn't sell them and I've tried three Electronic part shops. No one carries these switches. Can you point me to a WEB site that I can order one?

Sincerely,

Dave McWhite
      Dave,
      By now you probably have found a toggle switch but just incase you haven't, I found mine at Ace Hardware. The boot is seperate from the switch so ask for the switch and the rubber boot that goes over it.
      Good luck. Are you building the Gato?

Don

Comment

Working...