X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Polycell
    Ensign
    • Sep 2009

Air tank and compressor

OK I have started my own trend here asking daft question so why change!!
    I have chosen to adopt the conventional submarine way of diving and surfacing a boat (old submarine habits die hard!!) I want to build a ballast system that is flooded by opening vents and surfacing by having vents shut and putting a blow on the tank to rid it off water.
    So...where can I buy air reservoir cyclinder(s) I have sourced a Lego tank 63 mm long with a diameter of 32mm anyone know anything about these tanks? And what about a mini compressor to charge the tank? Again where?
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Sounds like you need a standard Sub-driver! :wink:

Mr. Merriman has made noises about this before, something about the compressor not able to compress enough air to store for more than one blow, therefore no fail-safe. The liquid gas (Propel) is at greater pressure than anything a small compressor can achieve.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 10-08-2009, 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Polycell
      Ensign
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Kazzer for the advice I know nowt about propel gas so any info would be good. Like is it easier to use than a straight air system? Do you need to take any precautions ie is it safe ?
      Sorry about being a muppett but I was taught as an ex submariner if yer don't know ask!!!
      Fred

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

I really think that a gas/Snort system is about as real as it gets.

The gas is only on board in a fail-safe situation, to overcome the pressure in a deep dive, or accident. The Snort pump ( a low pressure blower) uses air from the Snorkel to bring the boat to the surface. The boat is ballasted to be with the Snorkel tube just sitting out of the water, with the ballast tanks flooded.

This topic is beaten to death here, so if you dig around, I'm sure you'll find many comments on it.
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

I'm new to the submarine hobby. I needed something simple so I could do subs. The gas/Snort system is the easy and safe way to go. It's simple and works. I have three Revell plastic subs converted to r/c and I use the gas/snort system on all three.

Jack

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by kazzer
            The compressor not able to compress enough air to store for more than one blow, therefore no fail-safe. The liquid gas (Propel) is at greater pressure than anything a small compressor can achieve.
            Amount of air is dependant on the size of your reservoir and the pressure your compressor can pump to.

Small diaphragm compressors can't reach very high pressures because they have too much slack in them. However, piston compressors, if well made can reach very high pressures.

Granted it's unlikely you will achieve the density of compressed gases like propel, butane etc. But 60-80psi is readily achieved, and the guys that design these systems tend to aim for two blows from the tank, with a pressure sensed failsafe that won't allow the tank to vent unless sufficient reserve air is stored in order to surface.

The main disadvantage of such a system, is the added cost and complexity of all that extra hardware.

Comment

Working...