• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Aerial on S/D

David:

I'm wondering what to do with the aerial of the Sombra receiver and the aerial on the back of the S/D. I see place to attach a bare end of the Sombra aerial to the S/D aerial. Should I cut off any of the Sombra aerial.
    I'm not comfortable cutting the Sombra aerial. I don't see anything on the forum covering this question? Yet I'm sure everyone has had to deal with this. I'm thinking that this information may be on the 5 dvd's that come with the Gato kit. I'm doing the type VII. Don't have the Gato stuff yet.

Jack
  • shamrock
    Lieutenant
    • Jan 2009

yes you can cut the antenna and tie it to the lug on the sd .been there was scared myself to cut mine but it worked fine
    horse power by the hour

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Hi Jack,

The antenna on the reciever is designed to be (and tuned to) a certain length. You've probably got somewhere on the order of a 39" antenna on the Sombra Labs receiver and a 30" length of antenna wire attached to the outside of your SubDriver. Since the total length of antenna needs to stay the same you'll need to trim about 30" or so (the exact length of the SD's antenna) off the SL antenna before attaching it to the antena stud on the SD's bulkhead. (BTW, the lengths presented here are not exact but are illustrative of what's important.)

What ever the exact numbers are, just make sure that the total antenna length of the Rx + SubDriver is the same as the Rx was on it's own to start with.
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• pjdog
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Aerial

Thanks Kevin and Kirt. Being an old RC Plane person I knew that the length did mater. The old Futaba was 30". I'll measure the SL receiver and try to match that using the aerial on the S/D. Do you spread that aerial out around the hull I guess.

Jack

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
          Thanks Kevin and Kirt. Being an old RC Plane person I knew that the length did mater. The old Futaba was 30". I'll measure the SL receiver and try to match that using the aerial on the S/D. Do you spread that aerial out around the hull I guess.

Jack
          Don't get too anal about antenna length -- our cross range requirement is no where near a quarter-mile. I've gotten away with much shorter than designed receiver antennas.

Find something else to sweat.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...