X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

lipo charger supplied with Caswell order

When I received my Lipo 1300 amp 7.4v battery order from Caswell with the free 7.4 volt charger I didn't find anything about how long to charge these baby's.
    Not having any knowlwdge about Lipo's and seeing all the words on the forum about balancing and to much discarge and over charging. What to do. The free charger doesn't have anything to indicate how charged the new batteries are, when to stop charging? Is there something I should be getting. Like a super lipo charger with digital read out on voltage, amp's, safety shut down, magic something? You know like a lipo charger for battery dummies? Does caswell offer something. Please advise.

vislerio, 7.4v 1300mah.

Jack
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
    When I received my Lipo 1300 amp 7.4v battery order from Caswell with the free 7.4 volt charger I didn't find anything about how long to charge these baby's.
    Not having any knowlwdge about Lipo's and seeing all the words on the forum about balancing and to much discarge and over charging. What to do. The free charger doesn't have anything to indicate how charged the new batteries are, when to stop charging? Is there something I should be getting. Like a super lipo charger with digital read out on voltage, amp's, safety shut down, magic something? You know like a lipo charger for battery dummies? Does caswell offer something. Please advise.

vislerio, 7.4v 1300mah.

Jack
    Jack,

If I'm not mistaken, the Caswell supplied battery charger is a constant voltage-constant current type; it is aware of and changes the charge voltage and current to get the voltage up to the 'charged' state and float the battery from that point without any intervention on your part -- the lack of indicators on the charger to inform you of the condition of the charge does not mean that the charger is not doing its job. A simple check of the pack voltage after 12 hours of charge (disconnected from the charger) is good enough for us -- if it's within a volt of the rated voltage of the pack, you're banged up and ready to run.

For we r/c model submariner's (unless you're one of those German types), the Lithium-polymer batteries are not discharged at an alarming rate -- way under the C20 the newer packs are capable of, typically about C1 if you're not a lead-foot on the throttle.

And we're typically not in any rush to jam juice into the battery at the field, like the r/c car and plane guys are. So, there is no reason to use one of those deep sea-wonder-superchargers that can bang up the battery at a C+ rate.

An over-night charge is fine for most of us and, anyway, is one of the last steps performed as you go through the post-mission checks back at the shop.

Bottom line: unless the thing gives you a reason not to, trust your Caswell Lithium-polymer battery charger and find something else to worry about.

You people!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

I will dissagree with one bit of that. Dont charge your battery overnight. Dont charge them unattended. Infact never charge any battery un attended. My two cents, do as you please.

Comment

• pjdog
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Caswell charger

Thanks to both of you. I'll trust the package charger and worry about something else.

Jack

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

The Vislero Charger has a red and green light on it. When the green light comes on, the battery is charged. I always charge mine outside, in the dry, on concrete, and well away from anything flammable.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

Lipo's

Oh yes. The red light went green in two hours. The Lipo's must have a fair amount of charge when you get them. Sorry about the fear. But I don't know squat about Lipo's. And all the forum lip boggie about lipo's made me a little squeamish. Had I known about the red light green light I would have went for it.

Thanks to all.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh yes. The red light went green in two hours. The Lipo's must have a fair amount of charge when you get them. Sorry about the fear. But I don't know squat about Lipo's. And all the forum lip boggie about lipo's made me a little squeamish. Had I known about the red light green light I would have went for it.

Thanks to all.

Jack

Lithium-ion and Lithium-polymer batteries, though of different chemical make-up and physical appearance, do exhibit the same dynamic characteristics (voltages do vary some) and these batteries can be handled in much the same way. One very important characteristic these type batteries share is that a voltage across the cells must be above the design minimum. That's why they are delivered in a nearly fully charged condition ... if not they are dead/deceased/gone/kaput/broke-****/not-of-this-earth/worm-food/tits-up.

That's why it took little time to top off your just delivered pack with the Caswell charger, Jack: the battery arrived to you pretty much banged up.

Yeah, there is a lot of Internet scare-talk about these type batteries. Some justified. A lot of it BS. You did good bringing this topic up, an opportunity to clear the air on the topic.

Andy: You're our resident electron-pusher. Anything I missed or got wrong here?

Now that that's out of the way, assemble something and get it into the water!

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

lipo's

Glad I asked the question. I feel very comfortable about the charger now. I didn't notice the red and green lights. I'm old and the old eye's aren't what they use to be. Even if I hosed up a battery it's of little concern. I just didn't want to keep doing it when there's so much info available on this forum. When your doing rc subs the cost of a battery is of little consequence. However a battery a day can put you in the poor house.

I can't wait to get a sub wet. I started the wrong sub first. I should have done the Gato. More info available and the parts are available. I am ordering my Gato S/D and kits today. Speaking of batteries. The Gato requires 11.1 volts. The type VII requires 7.4 volts. Yet they plug into the same Sombra receiver? Being an old rc flyer that puzzles me?

My sub place is in Palm Harbor Florida, I'm in Louisiana which is why I was interested in a very good travel box for the subs. They have to ride for 10 hours in the back of an F-150. I also wanted to be sure I had good happy batteries with long run times cause I'm not sure of the availability of lipo's there. I also don't know of any hobby shops in the area.

It's hard to be a newbie.

Having fun.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

Glad I asked the question. I feel very comfortable about the charger now. I didn't notice the red and green lights. I'm old and the old eye's aren't what they use to be. Even if I hosed up a battery it's of little concern. I just didn't want to keep doing it when there's so much info available on this forum. When your doing rc subs the cost of a battery is of little consequence. However a battery a day can put you in the poor house.

I can't wait to get a sub wet. I started the wrong sub first. I should have done the Gato. More info available and the parts are available. I am ordering my Gato S/D and kits today. Speaking of batteries. The Gato requires 11.1 volts. The type VII requires 7.4 volts. Yet they plug into the same Sombra receiver? Being an old rc flyer that puzzles me?

My sub place is in Palm Harbor Florida, I'm in Louisiana which is why I was interested in a very good travel box for the subs. They have to ride for 10 hours in the back of an F-150. I also wanted to be sure I had good happy batteries with long run times cause I'm not sure of the availability of lipo's there. I also don't know of any hobby shops in the area.

It's hard to be a newbie.

Having fun.

Jack

Thank God! I'm talking with an adult.

I was getting so sick and tired about the *****ing and whining I was getting from Jungleload and a few others about the expense and 'work' involved in this game. Too many idiots want things handed to them and they then ***** about the expense. This is not the activity of idiots and cheap-skates! If you're not good with your mind and hands (or 'hand'), then this is not the game for you!

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...