X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jenels4
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2014

Almost there

Hi...I have tested my hookup for my Alpha submarine with the easy sub-driver. I just finished soldering caps on the electric motor and put a conversion plug on the deans plug from the lipo battery. I first tested the RX with its on battery and servo connected to rudder and elevation and that needs to be tweaked a little better, movement is moving the motor/servo/rx metal floors, although it worked fine. I then connected the Lipo with the Viper ESC to unit, yes I removed the rx battery. Everything worked fine, ELE/RUD/For-rev motor speeds. Now Im ready to arrange items in WTC and then tiewrap items so they do not move much inside. However, there are holes in my front and motor bulkheads that have no feedthroughs, how do I patch these up to prevent water from coming in?
    Thanks in advance, I guess duct tape wouldnt last to long....
  • jenels4
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2014

Hey, I just observed I got promoted, must have been that USCG remarck I made.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jenels4
      Hi...I have tested my hookup for my Alpha submarine with the easy sub-driver. I just finished soldering caps on the electric motor and put a conversion plug on the deans plug from the lipo battery. I first tested the RX with its on battery and servo connected to rudder and elevation and that needs to be tweaked a little better, movement is moving the motor/servo/rx metal floors, although it worked fine. I then connected the Lipo with the Viper ESC to unit, yes I removed the rx battery. Everything worked fine, ELE/RUD/For-rev motor speeds. Now Im ready to arrange items in WTC and then tiewrap items so they do not move much inside. However, there are holes in my front and motor bulkheads that have no feedthroughs, how do I patch these up to prevent water from coming in?
      Thanks in advance, I guess duct tape wouldnt last to long....
      If the aluminum device tray-bulkhead-shelf is moving with servo action, then you do not have the pushrods running through the seals properly -- pay more attention to how you bent the SD pushrods.

No harm in your putting capacitors across the motor poles -- but do know that the motor already has them, internally. What, specifically, are you talking bout when you say holes -- give me the diameter. If you have an open (unused) 1/6" pushrod seal hole, then stuff a short length of 1/16" rod in there. For bigger holes, turn a plug of plastic sock to size and CA in place. Test the assembled SD with a hose in the equalization valve body (after removing the Schreader-valve), blowing into it and sticking the SD underwater. Look for bubbles.

Pictures, damit ... pictures!

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jenels4
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Oct 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	cellphone 062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	98163 OK here are pictures. This is the metal frame shown all that I did. Notice the deans to Tamiya connector, so I didnt have to mess with the deans connector on other batteries. Also the motor has banana plug that fits the ESC, so other ESCs can be used. The servos are double taped on the metal tray with the tiewrap around them, I can see that the rods need to be straigtened to fit through the feedthroughs of the bulkhead. JR battery is just used to test the RX with the TX and set the servo arms to null. Hmmm I was wondering what that vavle was used for! Didnt know internally connected caps, guess I was reading a old instruction booklet you have on sub-drivers or another builder added them, so I just copied.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cellphone 064.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	98164These are the holes Im talking (texting) about. This happens to be the forward bulkhead, but the motor bulkhead will have some holes to fill also.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jenels4
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]30918[/ATTACH] OK here are pictures. This is the metal frame shown all that I did. Notice the deans to Tamiya connector, so I didnt have to mess with the deans connector on other batteries. Also the motor has banana plug that fits the ESC, so other ESCs can be used. The servos are double taped on the metal tray with the tiewrap around them, I can see that the rods need to be straigtened to fit through the feedthroughs of the bulkhead. JR battery is just used to test the RX with the TX and set the servo arms to null. Hmmm I was wondering what that vavle was used for! Didnt know internally connected caps, guess I was reading a old instruction booklet you have on sub-drivers or another builder added them, so I just copied.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30919[/ATTACH]These are the holes Im talking (texting) about. This happens to be the forward bulkhead, but the motor bulkhead will have some holes to fill also.

Thanks for your reply
          I recommend you move the servo arm pushrod hole closer to the center of rotation -- about 3/8" between centers. That where you want to make up the pushrod. What you have now is WAY too much throw. And with the pushrod so far from the servos center of rotation, that puts a lot of lateral motion to the pushrod -- which is contributing to the jamming of the pushrod as it passes through the motor-bulkhead pushrod seals. Work your control surface bell-cranks to have the same 3/8" center-to-center spacing between operating shaft and bell-crank pushrod connection point. It's work out just fine.

Don't forget to re-install that Schreader valve after you've done your pressure leak-check.

Those are 1/4" and 5/16" holes in the forward bulkhead. Plug 'em as I described. Same with the 1/4" hole(s) in the motor bulkhead.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jenels4
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Oct 2014

Well I get everything hooked up and tested place the WTC in the submarine and then take it to the bathroom pool. It sort of sinks aft first and if deep enough I think it would look like a bouy.

Do I have to add syrafoam to it to bring the aft back up to the surface? Probably then add wieght to counter the syrafoam to keep it level. Nothings easy.

Comment

Working...