• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jenels4
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2014

What to do?

What, what do I do?

Well first of all this is my first submarine to equip torun. I bought an Alpha submarine from a person on this forum, very good lookingsub at that. It came with no sub-driver so I ordered one from, ah ha,sub-driver. I ordered the dynamic EZ subdriver and finally got it after a 5month wait.

Since receiving it, I’m perplexed as to how all the itemsare connected. Now I fly RC airplanes so attaching the RX to ECS (via thethrottle port ) and I could just attachthe dive planes to the elevator servo and the same for the RUD to rudder servo.The ECS would have the outputs to motor and battery would suffice to me to getthe submarine to operate. Ill be using a Spectrum FM radio.

BUT

I’m perplexed as to how to connect the magnetic switch, theADF and the UBEC along with the Lipo Guard. ADF states connect to Pitch andBallast, are those submarine terminology for elevator and rudder? And thereforethe ADF unit would be attached between the RX elevator connection port and theelevator servo? Or what? The magnetic switch seems to me to also be in betweenthe battery and the battery connection on the RX, I would assume that thiswould be connected in series with the battery. I have no idea what the EBECthingy is, nor where there any instructions with it on its placement orconnections.

I could go with a wire diagram and that would solve a lot ofquestions for me. I did try to go through a lot of forum subjects to find outthese questions, but its not plain to me as to how to connect these otherdevices inside the sub-driver. Can I get some help in this area? Yes you knock on me, I can take it being a Coasty and called all names by the Navy people.
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Well Sir, I am fitting an EZ driver on my Type IX project at the moment and am posting the progress on that thread. Your welcome to chime in over there as I progress. Different boat but same driver and components. I am baffeled as to which components go where, like the ADF and Lipo guard are best suited for my application, as well as the BEC in the motor circuit. The balast system is eliminated, but the failsafe is still utilised. Some things are criticle in location, so Im learning as I go with help from anyone with the project. Taking care not to mount some components too close to the large guage power wires off of the fail safe or battery. The coax antenna being another thing to avoid any interferance with. There is a wire diagram posted on that thread as well Its for a static system with balast and blowers and has to be interpilated. I'll try to draw up what I have done so far, and post it, for comments, and suggestions.
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jenels4
      What, what do I do?

Well first of all this is my first submarine to equip torun. I bought an Alpha submarine from a person on this forum, very good lookingsub at that. It came with no sub-driver so I ordered one from, ah ha,sub-driver. I ordered the dynamic EZ subdriver and finally got it after a 5month wait.

Since receiving it, I’m perplexed as to how all the itemsare connected. Now I fly RC airplanes so attaching the RX to ECS (via thethrottle port ) and I could just attachthe dive planes to the elevator servo and the same for the RUD to rudder servo.The ECS would have the outputs to motor and battery would suffice to me to getthe submarine to operate. Ill be using a Spectrum FM radio.

BUT

I’m perplexed as to how to connect the magnetic switch, theADF and the UBEC along with the Lipo Guard. ADF states connect to Pitch andBallast, are those submarine terminology for elevator and rudder? And thereforethe ADF unit would be attached between the RX elevator connection port and theelevator servo? Or what? The magnetic switch seems to me to also be in betweenthe battery and the battery connection on the RX, I would assume that thiswould be connected in series with the battery. I have no idea what the EBECthingy is, nor where there any instructions with it on its placement orconnections.

I could go with a wire diagram and that would solve a lot ofquestions for me. I did try to go through a lot of forum subjects to find outthese questions, but its not plain to me as to how to connect these otherdevices inside the sub-driver. Can I get some help in this area? Yes you knock on me, I can take it being a Coasty and called all names by the Navy people.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0044.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	97587 just stick the BEC where the (you're not using it because you have no ballast sub-system) LPB-MPC goes. and disconnect the red wire from the ESC lead.

Is it true that all Coast Guard pukes have to be over six-feet tall ... so they can walk back if their boat sinks?

M
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-10-2015, 01:07 PM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]30282[/ATTACH] just stick the BEC where the (you're not using it because you have no ballast sub-system) LPB-MPC goes. and disconnect the red wire from the ESC lead.

Is it true that all Coast Guard pukes have to be over six-feet tall ... so they can walk back if their boat sinks?

M
        http://www.sub-driver.com/sub-drivers.html scroll down for a wiring diagram
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• jenels4
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Oct 2014

Thanks for the replies on the What to do. BTW yes that is true, but then again we are always home to take out your girlfriends when the fleet is gone!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Thanks for the replies on the What to do. BTW yes that is true, but then again we are always home to take out your girlfriends when the fleet is gone!
            Touche, sir! Well played.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

LOL

i love the banter and great come backs.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...