X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

motor question about noise interfearance

I have some large Johnsons (referring to lektrik motors) 12v fan cooled. the cans are 50mmx39mm. high speed somewhere around 5 to 7 k rpm @max B+. I will have reduction gears and not operate to far above the 2.5 to 4v min operating voltage mr johnson says it has. They are going in a 1/24 scale boat that displaces about 30 lbs. Torque is what Im relying on as it has to turn largescale props, so RPMs arnt required. My Query is should I have to stick a resistor on the motors to keep them quiet or does operating the motor at a lower voltage make any differance in the freeks emmitted? {over} Dr M?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Not resistors. Capacitors. One across each pole and the motor can. Non-polorized (ceramic types are the ones I use). Rated at around .01mF.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Not resistors. Capacitors. One across each pole and the motor can. Non-polorized (ceramic types are the ones I use). Rated at around .01mF.

M
      Rodger that. BE&E was a bad dream I had during nap time between the morning run and swimming and early chow lunch, and then the short gap after lunch till 1400. Then it was back to the POD. I did remember about capacitors, due to Pavlov's reenforcement process and and my cousin, Jimmy Mellon SOGCM ret. He would give me a discharge demo. to spark my intrest, so to speak. He actually is my blood cousin. Mom's sisters oldest kid. Ahh the summer of 62 on a "tropical" island.
      Last edited by Von Hilde; 10-21-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

I did my Basic Electricity and Electronics at Great Lakes. In the dead of winter! After lunch we piled into the steam-heated labs where those who started to sleep were handed fully charged electrolytic capacitors by an Instructor-aid.

We learned all the up-to-date stuff: Vacuum tube theory with a smattering of semiconductor in there to keep it interesting... Tesla himself would have been comfortable with the Frankenstein gear we trained on. This was in the enlightened late 60's mind you, not like your classes, where kit-flying and potato batteries were vital, up-to-date elements of the syllabus

After that cram-course, it was down to Key West to finish my Torpedoman A-school. Wow, what a difference a four-hour plane ride makes!

Were you at the 'Annex' too?

M

(re-read your post -- you did the BE&E at the EOD school, right there at the waterfront, mainside? Boy! they kept a tight leash on you guys. I assume the electronics cram because of the SDV's and exploders?).
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          I did my Basic Electricity and Electronics at Great Lakes. In the dead of winter! After lunch we piled into the steam-heated labs where those who started to sleep were handed fully charged electrolytic capacitors by an Instructor-aid.

We learned all the up-to-date stuff: Vacuum tube theory with a smattering of semiconductor in there to keep it interesting... Tesla himself would have been comfortable with the Frankenstein gear we trained on. This was in the enlightened late 60's mind you, not like your classes, where kit-flying and potato batteries were vital, up-to-date elements of the syllabus

After that cram-course, it was down to Key West to finish my Torpedoman A-school. Wow, what a difference a four-hour plane ride makes!

Were you at the 'Annex' too?

M

(re-read your post -- you did the BE&E at the EOD school, right there at the waterfront, mainside? Boy! they kept a tight leash on you guys. I assume the electronics cram because of the SDV's and exploders?).
          Actually, we did get to run over to the sonar school and do lab in the freezing air conditioned building. Built a superhet from the boxes of parts. Simpson 260 and a Texas inst. pocket calculator was the state of the art equipment. The anex by the seaplane ramp and big hanger is where our playground and daycare center was and the yacht club was mostly at Navsta port ops at the pier in front of the hospital with a few higgins mike boats and some RIBs and IBS over at the annex Desron piers, D1 and D2. Flemming key across the bridge past the hanger is where EODs stuff was. All the nasty stuff was kept on flemming in the bunkers, and in those days demolition key was hot on a regular basis as well as "Patricia" target west of KW harbor about 10 miles in the Marquesas

Comment

Working...