X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reckless
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2012

another "which sub" question of a different variety

okay at the risk of the heavens darkening and the wrath of Dave brought down upon me

of the low end cheap sub kits still available .. ie the dynamic divers .. what would be suggested?

thinking just a goof off sub ... something to built as the kit (or really damn close) and mess with ... be able to hand off the controller at the lake kinda thing.

speaking of kits like :

Akula
    Bluefish
    albacore

etc ... I missed out unfortunately on kits such as the robbe u47 and the seawolf ...

thinking a kit I can run a ADF on the rear planes (either at build or eventually) ... and maybe a piston tank (again eventually)

but as simple as possible, and without the need to custom build a ton, or $$ for voodoo magic etc...

this as much for me to get back into it, is to show some of the local community that subs don't have to scarey to just have fun ....help get new people involved at boat demo's ...etc .

I hope my question is understood properly ... I'm still gonna build the 1/72 skipjack (and eventually a gato) .. but even more so as a comparison between them...
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The modern Russian boats turn awful unless you go un-scale with the rudders.

The Small World 1/96 boats all worked well and are great value for money.

Get the ALBACORE kit if you can, but don't use the supplied sink-o-matic water-tight structure, substitute a proper SD for it.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

I do realise that this is like asking a master lego designer what duplo set I should get

but the intent of the question is in regards to using the internals provided (aka what ever water box it comes with )

this is something i'm doing in conjunction with local RC boat club ... IE get a kit, build it, maybe make a small change here or there ... run it .. attract people and show them it's possible... IE other 'noobs' like me :D

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        The modern Russian boats turn awful unless you go un-scale with the rudders.

The Small World 1/96 boats all worked well and are great value for money.

Get the ALBACORE kit if you can, but don't use the supplied sink-o-matic water-tight structure, substitute a proper SD for it.

M
        Thats Funny Dave.............."sink-o-matic" Funny!
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
          I do realise that this is like asking a master lego designer what duplo set I should get

but the intent of the question is in regards to using the internals provided (aka what ever water box it comes with )

this is something i'm doing in conjunction with local RC boat club ... IE get a kit, build it, maybe make a small change here or there ... run it .. attract people and show them it's possible... IE other 'noobs' like me :D
          Any Small Worlds r/c submarine then.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            Thats Funny Dave.............."sink-o-matic" Funny!
            Hey, that's what the damn thing is in way too many of those kits. That equatorial seal of Skip's polystyrene two-piece cylinder is the weak point of the design -- if you did not get the seal in just right, and torque the three compression nuts just right, you were going to flood the thing out the instant it hit the water.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Talking of SWM, Dave Manley is dipping his toe back in the water so to speak with a one-of aquatic SR71, which he has been posting piccies and details of up on the Dive-in facebook page.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Neat! How do I get to that site, Andy?

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Hey, that's what the damn thing is in way too many of those kits. That equatorial seal of Skip's polystyrene two-piece cylinder is the weak point of the design -- if you did not get the seal in just right, and torque the three compression nuts just right, you were going to flood the thing out the instant it hit the water.

M
                  OH YES, I remember well. If youll remember, I cut my teeth(they still hurt) on the Subtek Albacore with its problematic design. Thats when I called you up and ordered a D&E WTC cylinder. The first time I talked to you on the phone about a year earlier.................................you were quite Rude to me.............................(snif...snif) It still hurts(snif). my acheee breakee heart.
                  Last edited by greenman407; 06-06-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Neat! How do I get to that site, Andy?

M
                    I did not think it will be a production run, just a one off. No site that I know of, he is doing his build on Facebook.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                      OH YES, I remember well. If youll remember, I cut my teeth(they still hurt) on the Subtek Albacore with its problematic design. Thats when I called you up and ordered a D&E WTC cylinder. The first time I talked to you on the phone about a year earlier.................................you were quite Rude to me.............................(snif...snif) It still hurts(snif). my acheee breakee heart.
                      Yet ... you kept at it, you incredible pain-in-the-ass!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

What Tom said.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Yet ... you kept at it, you incredible pain-in-the-ass!

M
                          I think its the nature of the beast...................or just nature. The Pressure is all mine! HA! LOL......................

Comment

Working...