X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H2Ohaze
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2011

Round Tape seals at hinge points, top of SD

I'm not a newbie, but it's a simple question, so I'll post it here: there are two holes in the top of the flooding area of clear tube that act as hinge points for the blow/vent springy arm. They are covered by what looks like black PVC electrical tape cut into 3/4" dia spots. One of my spots is coming off and it vents the ballast center section of my type VIIC 1/72 when it's not supposed to. I have the gas version of the SD.

To replace the spot, do I need to prepare the clear tube with anything, or put extra adhesive (if so, what kind?) of some sort on the round patch? And do I use electrical tape as it looks like? Just any special steps I need to take...
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

To me it seemed to be pvc tape, just clear the spot by using alcohol or any other stuff to remove grease, place back a simular pvc tape piece, or use some 2k epoxy glue, i always do the last thing, so i don't have to bother about the wear and tear of the pvc tape.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

I think epoxy on that point is a little severe. I'd prefer you placed a dab of RTV silicone on the spot. You could cut a square of electrical tape to go over that too.

David makes those spots with a punch to cut out the circles. Neat, but not vital.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• satlite440
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jul 2012

so it is just elec tape? as i had the same problem self induced by poor attention to where my fingers were...i just used elec tape but i was wondering....

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by satlite440
          so it is just elec tape? as i had the same problem self induced by poor attention to where my fingers were...i just used elec tape but i was wondering....
          I believe it is.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Electrical tape, guys. Simple.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• H2Ohaze
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jul 2011

Thanks, I did a deluxe round spot out of electrical tape using a circle template and exacto(!)

Smeared a little RTV clear around the pivot point, pressed the spot in place.

Easy. I use RTV blue gasket maker when I'm doing stuff like gluing the LPB fittings onto the lexan tube or aft endcap, it's a bit better for those situations. Not for the black spot stuff though.

Sattlite, did you ever get your motor stutter to stop? I found a stopgap solution, using a Tekin B1R esc, waterproof with liquid tape except watch out for the microbuttons and the LEDs. The motor stutter stops. I say it's not a final solution, because the blow servo still twitches if ADF2 is inline for failsafe. And it's a little tight fitting, but can be made to work.
              Last edited by Kazzer; 07-26-2013, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• satlite440
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jul 2012

yes i did get the moter stutter to stop..dave sent me a new esc and i put it in and the stutter went away for the moters... however i still have some twitching on my vent/blow servo still... waiting for my shadow programer to dial down the throttle end points to see if it improves....... will report as soon as i know....

Comment

Working...