How do I create a paint mask for a circle and which tape to use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

How do I create a paint mask for a circle and which tape to use?

David,

1) I've seen pictures of you painting some beautiful circular deck markings for hatches and such and you always seem to have very nice circular paint masks, both positive and negative, for doing so. How did you create those circular paint masks? I could take a compass, draw a circle and then cut it out but I doubt it would as good as your method or is that your method?

AND

2) Do you still use the BLUE tape to create paint masks? I keep seeing ads for FROG GREEN tape that claims all kinds of chemical wonders for blocking out water based paint. Of course, I may have just answered my own question as you probably use only lacquer based paints. In any case, what do you recommend?

Perspiring minds want to know,

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
    David,

1) I've seen pictures of you painting some beautiful circular deck markings for hatches and such and you always seem to have very nice circular paint masks, both positive and negative, for doing so. How did you create those circular paint masks? I could take a compass, draw a circle and then cut it out but I doubt it would as good as your method or is that your method?

AND

2) Do you still use the BLUE tape to create paint masks? I keep seeing ads for FROG GREEN tape that claims all kinds of chemical wonders for blocking out water based paint. Of course, I may have just answered my own question as you probably use only lacquer based paints. In any case, what do you recommend?

Perspiring minds want to know,

Dan
    You incredible pain in the ass!

1. A circular mask can be cut using a commercially available circle cutter -- a swival-knife at one leg of a fancy compass; using a cheap-ass kids school compass with one legs point ground to a knife blade; or using suitably sized brass tubes bevelled to serve as hole-punches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0183.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	76982Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0096.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	76983Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0100.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	76984Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0107.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	76985Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	76986Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0115.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	76987Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0119.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	76988Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0127.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	76989Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0134.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	76990

Note the varied use of the low-tack masking tape: straight runs like the black-red demarcation lines on the hull; used as a position template for the bow-pen applied draft markings; and the circular masks on the after escape-trunk targets.

2. Not all blue masking tape has the same tack! I use the 3M stuff. Regardless, don't employ the edge of the tape as it comes off the roll -- too ragged! First place a strip of the tape down on some plastic sheet and cut your strips, circles, whatever on the board. This produces a very clean, crisp edge that will prevent paint run-under and ratty looking paint demarcation lines.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      You incredible pain in the ass!
      I love you too, Sweetie.

Thanks once more.

Dan
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

LOL..........................
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

I have to agree with David 125%... Don't bother with anything other than 3M. I know from past experiance that other brands and types are just a pain in the @$$. Their often to waxy, to much tack or not enough! I know that with 3M blue I can often use it, spray, lift it off to reapply in a different part spray again. It was a godsend for that when I did the additional ashen detail on my polar lights refit Enterprise.
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...