X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlabow
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2012

Micro Air Pump

I just received my latest parts shipment from Sub Driver (thanks for the quick shipping!). Even though the pump is pictured next to a quarter I didn't realize how 'micro' it was until I actually saw it. Roughly how long will this pump take to blow the 27 ox ballast tank in the 1/72 Gato?

Thanks,
    Joel
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Joel,
    check out this link 2/3rds down the page I did a test

I put two pumps in my Gato. Originally I did not use a resistor and they were very fast using the 11 volt battery. Concern was it will prematurely burn them out so I put a resistor in. So, it slowed my ballast blow times. I have a video that shows the rise time too.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Stick a 22-Ohm, 1/4 Watt resister in series with one of the power wires to the MPC and you'll drop the recommended 11.1-volt voltage down to about the 8-volts the little pump can handle safely.

With the pump so configured, it will blow out the GATO ballast tank (on or near the surface, with little back-pressure) in 90-seconds in either SAS or LPB mode.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlabow
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Oct 2012

Thanks. How did you control the second pump? How big a resistor? I was planning to use a 7.2 volt main battery...will this cause other problems?

Joel

Comment

• jlabow
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Oct 2012

David,
          Thanks as usual. Most of what I know about WWII sub practice comes from the books of E.L Beach and Richard O'Kane. Both state that subs usually used HP air to start the surfacing process and then finished off with LP air. If this is true combining gas and snort should be pretty realistic. Let me repeat the question I asked trout...Will a 7.2 volt main battery answer the mail?

Best regards,
          Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jlabow
            David,
            Thanks as usual. Most of what I know about WWII sub practice comes from the books of E.L Beach and Richard O'Kane. Both state that subs usually used HP air to start the surfacing process and then finished off with LP air. If this is true combining gas and snort should be pretty realistic. Let me repeat the question I asked trout...Will a 7.2 volt main battery answer the mail?

Best regards,
            Joel
            I qualified on a TENCH class boat. Normal practice was to come up to periscope depth, look around, blow bow-buoyancy, start the LPB, full rise on both planes, wait for the sail to broach, open the main induction, turn on the low pressure blower, get the watch up on the bridge and wait the fifteen minutes it took to blow the main ballast tanks dry. Or, if on the snorkel, start the LPB from periscope depth, blow bow buoyancy, and reapeat the above drill. Only air from the banks used was for the squirt needed to put the up angle on the boat.

7.4-volt source, you can drive the MPC directly off the source without need of a voltage dropping resistor.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I wired the pump in parallel with the first one, positive of pump two to positive of pump one, and negative of pump two to negative of pump one (pump one had the controller on it). So switching pump one on, turned on pump two also.

Thanks. How did you control the second pump? How big a resistor? I was planning to use a 7.2 volt main battery...will this cause other problems?

Joel
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• alad61
                Commander
                • Jan 2012

I just received my latest parts shipment from Sub Driver (thanks for the quick shipping!). Even though the pump is pictured next to a quarter I didn't realize how 'micro' it was until I actually saw it. Roughly how long will this pump take to blow the 27 ox ballast tank in the 1/72 Gato?

Thanks,
                Joel
                David beat my response...

I have been running my gato on a 7.2v 3600mah pack from the get go and I can tell you straight off the bat with a full battery I can get my her from full deck awash to waterline in 75 seconds in the tub. It does take a few seconds longer in the wild which I put down to water with more solids in it. However getting towards batteries end it has taken just on 2 minutes, but I generally am sailing to dock by then with the forward planes on a little rise and it does look pretty cool as it gets from just having the sail half out of the water to near proper surface running depth by the time she is near the dock.
                Cheers,
                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
                  David beat my response...

I have been running my gato on a 7.2v 3600mah pack from the get go and I can tell you straight off the bat with a full battery I can get my her from full deck awash to waterline in 75 seconds in the tub. It does take a few seconds longer in the wild which I put down to water with more solids in it. However getting towards batteries end it has taken just on 2 minutes, but I generally am sailing to dock by then with the forward planes on a little rise and it does look pretty cool as it gets from just having the sail half out of the water to near proper surface running depth by the time she is near the dock.
                  Your 'top end' at only 7.4-volts, hight throttle on the surface, Alec: is it fast enough for you? Those motors are wound for 12-volts.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                    Commander
                    • Jan 2012

David it cuts through the water with ease giving off a nice wake and bow wave, I actually dialed back the throttle to 80 for ahead & 75 for reverse on the epa and it gives a good scale speed. Infact there was an ex navy vet who had seen them in action and he complimented me on its look an scale speed. It does tend to slow off after a solid 1/2 hour run but all I do is dial it back to 100 and still menace the yaughties for another 15 minutes or so. I' m even thinking of putting another one together...
                    Cheers,
                    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• jlabow
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Oct 2012

Thanks to all!

Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
                        David it cuts through the water with ease giving off a nice wake and bow wave, I actually dialed back the throttle to 80 for ahead & 75 for reverse on the epa and it gives a good scale speed. Infact there was an ex navy vet who had seen them in action and he complimented me on its look an scale speed. It does tend to slow off after a solid 1/2 hour run but all I do is dial it back to 100 and still menace the yaughties for another 15 minutes or so. I' m even thinking of putting another one together...
                        Well, that's excellent news, Alec. I never tried it with anything less than 11.1-volts. Nice to know. Thanks.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...