X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlabow
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2012

SAS v. Subdriver

Since He Who Must Not Be Named allowed me to live after my first post I'll try another. I have already ordered my fittings set and am close to committing the Caswell site to memory, however even with all that information I am still having some lack of comprehension. The idea of snort + gas appeals to me but I can't understand why the 2.5" snort system has a ballast tank that is more than 4" shorter than that of the Subdriver. If 27 ounces of ballast is needed to get to periscope depth shouldn't they both be the same? As a secondary question if I elect to add a snort system to the standard Subdriver is the snorkel valve available separately?

Thanks to all,
    Joel
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Are we talking GATO SD here, Joel?

For any given SD that originally used the classic snort-gas ballast sub-system, when configured for SAS (which ALL SD's are now with the exception of the 1.25" SD's) the ballast tank volume remaines about the same (loss the on-board bottle, but -- other than the 3.5's -- gained a safety float-valve, so volume change of the ballast tank on the 2.5 and 2 SD's is a wash).

The only displacement change between the SAS and non-SAS ballast sub-system is the float of the snorkel of the SAS -- usually removal of existing foam from the above waterline portions of the hull, to an equal volume of the float, will compensate. Yes, the ballast tank volume between the two sub-systems is the same.

Addition of the gas ballast sub-system to the SAS (or to the snort) is an easy matter, as the mounting hardware foundation, and linkage arrangement is shared with the SAS -- just plug in the on-board gas bottle, with connected hose, restrictor, and blow, valve and the conversion is complete. All you have to do is adjust the fail-safe to overdrive the vent/blow servo to 'blow' in the fail-safe condition.

Snort does not employ a snorkel head-valve assembly, The SAS does. Is that what you meant, conversion of a snort to SAS?

We'll get this sorted out, Joel.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	74304Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	74305Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	74306Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	74307Click image for larger version

Name:	049.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	74308Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	74309Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	74310Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	74311Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	74312Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	74313Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	74314
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlabow
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Oct 2012

David,
      Sorry for my lack of clarity...I was confusing Snort with SAS. I guess my real question comes down to this: if I got the standard 30" 2.5" gas-type subdriver for the 1/72 Gato, after re-reading your article it seems to me that I could add a LPB in the battery compartment controlled with an extra channel and have the benefits of both gas and Snort. Am I out to lunch? Also, thanks for the pictures...very helpful in understanding the SAS concept.

Joel

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Joel,
        What you are describing is what I have in my Gato build - I just put two pumps in there to fill the ballast tank quicker.
        Peace,
        Tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• jlabow
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Oct 2012

Tom,
          What capacity battery do you use?

Joel

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Joel,

I use the 1300ma batteries, but had I aligned my driveshafts better and not have to cut the WTC tube (incorrectly from the battery end), I would get the biggest, Mondo capacity, just short of nuclear power plant, that I could afford. As it is, I am limited by length of my battery compartment.

Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh, as a side-bar to this discussion: I want to acknowledge the great ideas and drawings offered by Tom, Myron, Dan, Romel, Manfred and others during the development phase of the SAS work-up. It was vital for me to have these knowing eyes looking over my work as things went together.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jlabow
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2012

Thanks to all...what an incredibly useful forum!

Joel

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jlabow

Joel
                  It's a good crew, Joel. No talk of road-kill, or back-channel character assassination for us. Here, your attacker will look you in the eyes as he shoves the blade home. Here, the occasional off-topic exchange is fine ... to a point.

Here most of us have skills and resources to offer, and the atmosphere that Mike and I promote encourages people to toss 'em about in pursuit of the common interest. What a novel concept ...

Other forums are designed to pass on r/c submarine information, just like us. However, with a few exceptions, the quality of the posters is sub-standard, and they tend to get into circular discussion with no resolution to the questions posited -- and what answers that do squeak through are often suspect. Mike and I endeavor to keep that from happening here.

This is very much a guy's place. It's not a hang-out for dead-beats, and PC is parked at the door. I won't suffer fools and I will engage in plain talk, no BS. When I'm done with you, you know EXACTLY what I meant. No smiley-faces for me -- I write well enough not to resort to cartoon-characters to convey intent.

If you have something I want, I'll pick your brains till you bleed. And I'll reciprocate. That's how I play it, and I appreciate it when others do the same.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by jlabow

Joel
                    You're welcome Joel.

Comment

Working...