X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deckhand
    Ensign
    • Oct 2012

Sub newbie: Deck access query.

I have several years building experience in all materials, all in my surface fleet. I am now going to attempt a sub, purely for surface action, before deciding to go for submerging on a subsequent model. I am attracted to the look and size of the Gato and have found a few build logs online, none of which give a fully detailed build. Unfortunately, I have been unable to assess how access to the hull is possible. Does the hull have to be constructed then the deck hatch(es) cut out, or is hatch access 'built in' with the mouldings? Answering this will help me decide my further actions. Many thanks in anticipation.
    Deckie.
    Last edited by Deckhand; 10-22-2012, 06:36 AM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Welcome! I built the Gato and will say I love the way she looks!
    Here is my build from box to water http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...vell-1-72-Gato
    Hope this helps.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Deckhand
      Ensign
      • Oct 2012

Thank you Sir.
      I am most grateful to you. Your excellent build log gives me the answer I required.
      Deckie

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

That's great! I am glad it helped. We are here, if you have questions. David has an excellent DVD set and in that he shows how he separates his hull along the waterline. Enjoy your build!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Deckhand
          Ensign
          • Oct 2012

Can you tell me how I may obtain Davids DVD? I most probably will not need to make the cut as low as the waterline as I do not require a WTC and therefore hope to keep the cut as high as possible and keep the wet stuff out. I look forward to receiving the kit soon, then I will be able to make my decision.
          Regards.
          Deckie.
          Last edited by Deckhand; 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Deckhand
              Ensign
              • Oct 2012

Thank you Kazzer.

Comment

Working...