Newbie, Building Gato or Trumpeter Kilo, whats involved?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lachee
    Ensign
    • Feb 2012

Newbie, Building Gato or Trumpeter Kilo, whats involved?

hello to you all, For my very first i thought i might get the Gato since it is a kit, comes with everything (except for control er etc.) and a dvd which i assume help you build it from reading the forum. I also think of buying the Trumpeter Kilo instead as it is cheaper and i can buy the part separately as i have to save for them and gives me something to do. What is involved in these kits? I seen images and buy the look of it, do i have to cast a mold from a kit and fill them with resin or can i just 'glue/screw' the kit together and it will be all okay? Also, which kit do you recommend and strongest for dam water (I'm rural Tasmania, Australia and i most likely test in a neighbour dam, or maybe not...)?
    life is tedious at time, when these times come, make it tedious for others instead.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Go with the KILO and our SD and fittings kit. Read all threads here. Don't copy other peoples work "...do i have to cast a mold from a kit..."! You buy the Trumpeter KILO kit and use that. Period.

Swear your allegiance to me, and take the mandatory blood-oath. Or, suffer!

What r/c vehicles have you operated to date?

R/c submarining is not an 'entry level' activity.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Reckless
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2012

from one sub newbie to another... go for the Kilo or seawolf ... or even the skipjack first ... with all the listed goodies on the caswell webpage

and listen to the grumpy wizard...

only reason I'm doing a Type 7 "first", is cause I found a wicked deal for a nearly completed build... I just have to finish it and enjoy it.

if you haven't operated much of anything RC watercraft wise .... check out the neptune thundertiger RTR ... the cost is pretty much the same as a gato once your all said and done... and you don't have to build anything! just add batteries, read instructions and play!

Comment

• Lachee
        Ensign
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        Go with the KILO and our SD and fittings kit. Read all threads here. Don't copy other peoples work "...do i have to cast a mold from a kit..."! You buy the Trumpeter KILO kit and use that. Period.

Swear your allegiance to me, and take the mandatory blood-oath. Or, suffer!

What r/c vehicles have you operated to date?

R/c submarining is not an 'entry level' activity.

David
        ... 1 RC helicopter and one IR helicopter... I have a mate though, he is an expert in RC planes if i need help with any of the controllers, but don't tell me to try 'boating' or 'cars' instead please, my mind is made up. I will be relying of this forum to help me through my project as I have no submariners that i know of in my area of the state so please, be kind, i am learning from this expernence, although it might be some time before i have my next post as i will be saving for the Sub-Diver, shouldn't be to long away though. Any way, thank you so much for your help 'he who shall not be named' as you have set my mind at ease.

Thank you Reckless, i think i will go for the Kilo. Just another question, will the up periscope fit the Kilo?
        Last edited by Lachee; 02-03-2012, 02:04 AM.
        life is tedious at time, when these times come, make it tedious for others instead.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Lachee
          don't tell me to try 'boating' or 'cars' instead please, my mind is made up. I will be relying of this forum to help me through my project as I have no submariners that i know of in my area of the state so please, be kind, i am learning from this expernence, although it might be some time before i have my next post as i will be saving for the Sub-Diver, shouldn't be to long away though.
          Lachee,
          Good for you and do not be swayed. Your determination will help....I know I am also building my first sub and will be checking for leaks in my WTC in the next day or so. We are here to encourage you and help where we can. HWSNBN is a wealth of information. Sometimes he will let you struggle to find an answer, but he is always there to laugh after you have beaten your head against a wall or give you a swift kick in the pants, then offer a solution to get you on your merry way. His heart is big. I can say for a fact, I would not have gotten as far as I have without David's input. Look forward to your build. Welcome!
          Cheers,
          Tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Lachee
            Ensign
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by trout
            Lachee,
            Good for you and do not be swayed. Your determination will help....I know I am also building my first sub and will be checking for leaks in my WTC in the next day or so. We are here to encourage you and help where we can. HWSNBN is a wealth of information. Sometimes he will let you struggle to find an answer, but he is always there to laugh after you have beaten your head against a wall or give you a swift kick in the pants, then offer a solution to get you on your merry way. His heart is big. I can say for a fact, I would not have gotten as far as I have without David's input. Look forward to your build. Welcome!
            Cheers,
            Tom
            thank you very much, I appreciate the support, it is just what i need to get this project rolling :)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Enough chit-chat. Get to work!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Ahhhh, your first kick in the pants. Do as he says.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• vital.spark
                  Commander
                  • May 2010

Lachee

Listen to David (most of the time) He is 100% correct about going with the Trumpeter Kilo first! My fleet now includes the Trumpeter Seawolf, Revell type VII and the Gato. I did the Seawolf first as I liked it's looks but there was quite a bit of extra work to get the top and bottom of the hull to fit and it's turning radius suck's (20') I have to tape on a large rudder extension when I use it in any pool with less then a 30' width! The type VII and the Gato are beautiful kits but with many parts that can break off for a newbee. You'll spend quite a bit of time finishing the Gato and the last thing you want is a pile of broaken parts while learning how to build and operate it!

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• Aug 2008

... most of the time?!

Hurumph!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Reckless: You from Nanaimo? I used to help proof torpedoe's out there.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• vital.spark
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

David, Would you accept 99.9999999 % of the time?

Actually guy's, if it wasn't for David my 3 beautifuly built and running subs would just be a dream!

Myron

Comment

• Reckless
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Jan 2012

Reckless: You from Nanaimo? I used to help proof torpedoe's out there.

David

I was living in Nanaimo .. I'm in Ladysmith now... but I sail with a group in Nanaimo still ...

I remember in the 80's seeing a sub surface in a bay in sooke ... buncha guys stream out of the conning tower and start having lunch/coffee/ smoke on the deck ... later that day I talked to my grandpa (WW2 RCN vet) and he said the US and canadian navy used an island in the general area to train/test/fire torpedos and such...

were you out at the Fairwinds 'base' Dave? ...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, I was stationed aboard the former USS NEW BEDFORD (AKL-17) -- it was the little Navy freighter that they filmed the, 'Mr. Rogers' movie on.

At the time I was aboard her she had been de-commissioned and was classified as an 'auxiliary craft', working out of Keyport Naval Torpedo Station. The AKL-17 had been converted with one underwater tube in her hold, an above water tube on the main deck (21" weapons) and a three tube light-weight torpedo launcher (12" weapons) on the 01 level, just aft of the bridge. It was the late 60's and I was one of the Torpedoman aboard who maintained the launchers and fired the exercise weapons down-range. The Island you refer to is maybe DaBob?

The big deal while I was stated there was the almost daily shooting of evaluation MK-48 torpedoes. It was a shoot-off between Westinghouse and Gould. The winner would get the MK-48 contract. I got some wild stores about 48's, and MK-46 mod 0's that would put your hair on end.

I don't know about 'Fairwinds'. But there was a pier where we tied up most nights we were in Canada, yes. About an hours car ride to the city. Not much in the way of night-life over there -- lost a front tooth there. Apparently I said something inappropriate to the wrong guy. Silly me.

Beer was good, but what's with the mayonnaise on french-fries!? What's wrong with you people!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

Not much in the way of night-life over there -- lost a front tooth there. Apparently I said something inappropriate to the wrong guy. Silly me.
                              David
                              Now, with most people, that would have taught them a lesson!

Beer was good, but what's with the mayonnaise on french-fries!? What's wrong with you people!

David
                              It was cheese, not mayo. It's called Poutine! Rather good actually, but I'm a Canadian!
                              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...