X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickelsen
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

Replacing the Up Periscope lens

I have managed to crack the WTC of my Up Periscope. I would like to take the lens off of the cracked on and install in on a new tube. Is there a way that I can do this in order to salvage the lens? In particular, I don't know what the black sealant is. It looks like some sort of heat shrink tubing, but I've never seen any that would shrink down in that manner. I haven't taken the WTC apart yet so I don't know what it will take to remove the lens without damage. Can I do this or will I just have to buy a new WTC with lens?
    Thanks,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	STA60391.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	101115
    Hope is a harsh mistress!
    Mark
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Idiot!

E-mail me.

dmeriman@aol.com

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      Idiot!

E-mail me.

dmeriman@aol.com

David,
      Isn't he charming!
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• mickelsen
        Lieutenant
        • Aug 2008

Yes. Prince Charming, actually.
        Mark

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
            You'll need a bigger white horse than that to drag your fat arse around!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Mark,

I was just too damned tired to plug text into this. So, here goes:

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	63597I sent you not only a replacement cylinder and lense for your broken Up-Periscope unit, but also some other odds and ends relating to the system that you might find useful. Package went out yesterday via USPS so be on the lookout for it later this week

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	63600Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	63599 These two shots show off a new product under development. This little watertight enclosure will house those very popular 808 key chain video recorders. Unlike the Up Periscope system, this is a video-recorder; it does not transmit the image, it records the image to an installed SD card which is eventually down-loaded as a file to your computers hard-drive. So, with the 808 type camera, there is no requirement to hold the submarine to periscope depth in order to insure the transmitted video image makes it to a separate receiver and recording device.

With the 808 camera you just turn it on, slip it into its enclosure, secure the enclosure to the deck of your submarine and forget about it while it cranks away for an hour or so.

Name:	DSCN0026.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	63601Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0028.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	63602Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0029.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	63603Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0031.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	63604Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0032.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	63605Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0198.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	63608Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0200.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	63609Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0184.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	63610 As you can see, the Up-Periscope unit takes up some of the real-estate in the bow of the Moebius SEAVIEW. The 'control room' is cut away from the forward observation area and discarded. The camera lens, behind the observation area looks out through the four bow windows. The unit itself is mounted on a sliding tray that fits to rails glued atop the flying-submarine bay upper lid. Coaxial cable routes the camera-transmitters antenna to the top of the sail -- the short antenna projecting through one of the periscope holes.

Name:	DSCN0105.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	63606Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0157.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	63611Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0170.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	63613 As a practical matter, running the submarine with the virtual goggles on is a bit of a chore: your field of view through the camera lens is only sixty-degrees (that's only thirty-degrees left, and thirty-degrees right!) so you have next to zero peripheral view -- you need a spotter looking out for you to give warning if obstructions or other craft get in your way. Also, unless the body of water you're in is perfectly clear, you won't see far enough ahead to turn or back down if something gets in the way. And, of course, to receive the video image through the goggles, you have to keep the boat at or above. But, when things are working, driving a model submarine this way is a total hoot!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• mickelsen
                Lieutenant
                • Aug 2008

Okay, I can come up with the blue wading pool, but the two mermaids will be harder to acquire.
                Mark

Comment

Working...