X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickelsen
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

Cleaning up Sculpey

I've been using Sculpey to make some small molds for casting Alumilite parts. It works fine but is sometimes difficult to clean off of the parts completely. Is there something that I can use to dissolve the Sculpey without damaging the Alumilite part?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Hope is a harsh mistress!
    Mark
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Lacquer thinner.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

If it's the same material as Alumilite sells

then I use dish washing liquid and warm water.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• mickelsen
        Lieutenant
        • Aug 2008

I have no idea if it is the same (or similar) stuff. Maybe the master knows. I know that Dave uses Sculpey. I don't know if he ever uses the Alumilite clay.
        Mark

Comment

• mickelsen
          Lieutenant
          • Aug 2008

I was amazed! The soap and water cleaned up the parts beautifully.
          Mark

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by mickelsen
            I was amazed! The soap and water cleaned up the parts beautifully.
            I know! I'm brilliant!

It comes after years of making terrible messes in the house with 'experiments' on epoxy, paint and all sorts of other messy goops. I leave a trail of debris like that wherever I am.

My poor wife is often heard saying, "Michael! You've got that all over the -------!) Which is my command to come up with something quick to clean it up!

But lets make it clear here. It's not 'soap' you need, it's detergent. Detergent molecules attach themselves to the 'oil' molecules and change it into a sort or soap which will dissolve in water. All 'Skulpey' products are, is basically clay with the water dried out and replaced with oil, which is why it won't dry out.

Here's another trick. Got paint on your best shirt? (Yep - I work in my best clothes, and on the assumption, I'll only take a minute, and I won't get messy)

Take a spay can of Paint Stripper

Lay the clothes out flat and spray a liberal amount of Stripper onto the offending area, and work it in with a small nail brush

Lay some polyethylene sheet over the top and let it sit there for an hour. ( The sheet will stop the Stripper from evaporating.)
            Finally, pour some detergent dish washing liquid over the entire area and use the nail brush to scrub it in to dissolve the Stripper and the soggy paint. Rinse off with warm water.

Repeat if necessary.
            Last edited by Kazzer; 07-31-2011, 06:04 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...