X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James Wittaker
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2021

Special torpedo tubes into practical?

Since I have seen so many types of David's torpedo launchers, all of them are fixed inside the hull. However, there are some kind of subs with trainable torpedo tubes and the torpedo tubes of which could be trained at any angle while submerging or on the surface. Does anyone have ideas about this ? Any stunning sketches or plans for making the trainable tubes into practical of rc subs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	f6fe0598bd0a2127c8d03913528f35e.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	162761

Name:	0d0899f21b1021e513654f017ec4469.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	162762
  • Sam Victory
    Commander
    • Sep 2021

You have a particularly vivid imagination, sir, and I think you are the first person to suggest that such a torpedo launcher should be made a reality. In fact, trainable torpedo tubes were only used by a few countries in WWII because of their complexity and less reliability. The U.S. T-class submarines used them and then later removed them because they were not very reliable. So it is difficult to implement something so complicated in RC. Previously I worked through several of Mr. Merriman's launchers to try to create this seemingly impossible thing, and I asked to be able to fire at any angle as in reality. The final conclusion was to abandon the mechanical launch and replace it with a pneumatic launch. There were two difficulties here: first, the torpedo launcher could not be longer after firing, otherwise it could not be rotated and stowed in the opening in the side of the submarine; second, the proper construction. Considering the small space, a reasonable and effective structure is necessary. Of course, not all submarines with trainable torpedo tubes can be converted to RC, it also depends on the actual situation and whether there is enough space. I can share my abbreviated version of the sketch for you to see, without much textual explanation. In fact, I don't think it's worth making, considering its fragile structure, ease of maintenance, disassembly, etc.

V

Name:	01df4fdbeea33eab3a84bf13202a608.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	162764

Comment

Working...