X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickelsen
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2008

Temporary glue

Okay, this one may well be a silly question, but here goes anyway.

I want to put parts of a plastic model, such as the Seaview, together temporarily while I work on them, and then take them apart again without damaging the finish. I'm looking for some type of glue that will hold things together pretty well but which I can get to release when I want it to, perhaps with some sort of solvent (maybe even water).

I can think of many times when I might want to do this, but the thing I'm thinking about right now is; I want to put some of the pieces together and use them as a mold for making some interior support pieces out of Alumilite. I put the pieces together tightly, pour the Alumilite in, and when it is set up, take the pieces apart in order to get the support piece out. I've already done this successfully a couple of times without any sort of glue but it's hard to get everything sealed up so that all the Alumilite doesn't leak out before it sets up. Hence, the desire for the glue.

I would also like to hook some parts together while I put them in my CNC router to machine certain details in them, such as a nice hex-shaped recess to make the nut for a hold-down screw ride flush in a professional-looking hole.

Anyway, does anyone know of a temporary glue that would serve this purpose?

Thanks,
    Hope is a harsh mistress!
    Mark
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Spot glue with thick CA. It shatters when shocked and fails readily in the shear plane.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

I use that blue masking tape. If you run it all along a joint it will hold it very tightly and is very easy to remove.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• mickelsen
        Lieutenant
        • Aug 2008

Thanks, guys. I guess it wasn't such a dumb question, after all.
        Hope is a harsh mistress!
        Mark

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Believe me, when I see a dumb question ... and yes, there ARE dumb questions ... I'll be the first to let you know.

Welocme to the, House of Pain!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...