Difference Revell Gato 5047 and 850(384)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subchaser
    Ensign
    • Jun 2011

Difference Revell Gato 5047 and 850(384)

To build one needs a kit - the correct kit. Can someone tell me what is the difference (except price) between the Revell Gato 850384, sometimes listed as 384, and the German 5047 kit? Is one better than another as a basis for a conversion to RC control?
  • Anuci
    Banned
    • Aug 2008

The Revell Gato mentioned is a 1/72 scale boat, approx. 52" in length, and compared to the U-boat, the hull is larger, and a bit easier to work on. IMO.
    If that makes a difference to you, then that may be a consideration in your decision making process. They both make nice kits to convert over tho. However, My understanding is that Revell has discontinued production of there U-boat in 1/72 scale for the time being, but you may still find one of those still around, or on e-bay.
    Good Luck whatever your decision.

Comment

• subchaser
      Ensign
      • Jun 2011

There has been a misunderstanding. There are 2 Revell kits for a 1/72 Gato - one 850384 (presumably made in US) and another 5047 made in Germany. (I am assuming one referred to as 384 is just an abbreviation for 850384.) The second costs about $50 more.

My question was what is the difference in the two Revell Gato kits when it comes down to converting to RC.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

The Revell 1:72 has been discontinued (what WERE Revell thinking?) but I have a dozen of these models still in stock. They are like 'hen's teeth' (rare) and if you find one, the prices are going up all the time.

I only sell them as a complete kit, because I bought enough to match our inventory of Fittings Kits and Sub-drivers.

You can see more details here

The only Revell Gato I have seen is the

RV85-0384 Revell Gato Submarine Model $74.96

The 05047 model looks like an old Airfix model, maybe available in Europe, but I haven't seen anyone here selling it. As for price, it looks similar to the US one.
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• subchaser
          Ensign
          • Jun 2011

To see what I mean, go to ebay and search under revell gato. Check out the listings for the 5047. After that it looks to me like the 5047 has a few more bells and whistles eg folding tail planes. In the end, I can't tell if they have significant differences/advantages as to converting one or the other.

Comment

• Anuci
            Banned
            • Aug 2008

OK, a comparison between the two Gato kits, frankly I don't believe there is any significant difference between the two kits other than where produced which may very well reflect the difference in cost. However, you may get a more precise answer to your question here: http://www.revell.com/news/contact-us.html
            Good Luck!
            Last edited by Anuci; 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• tsenecal
              Lieutenant
              • Dec 2009

here is what tower hobbies lists for each model, doesn't appear to be any difference:

revell: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLRK4&P=7
              revell germany: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNDT8&P=7

Comment

• Outrider
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

Last year, I was looking at Revell 1:72 Gatos and wanted to see if there was any difference between the Revell Monogram version and the Revell Germany version. There is a premium on the German version, but that doesn't mean there are any differences between the two kits. I found a good price on the German boxed kit--but it was still more than the Revell Monogram version. I asked the seller to open the box to compare versions before I bought it. He told me that the sprues looked identical.

As to 1:72 submarines in polystyrene... I think everything in 1:72 is now OOP except, perhaps, the Alanger Type XXIII.

Comment

• subchaser
                  Ensign
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks everyone who replied.

In summary, nothing but price.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Sounds to me like the kit tools have been traveling between China and Europe.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...