Periscopes & antennas, up, down or moveable?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lewullis
    Ensign
    • Dec 2021

Periscopes & antennas, up, down or moveable?

First boat build. I'm doing the 688 Los Angeles Class, 3D printable files purchased from Nautilus Drydocks. First things first. In the mid to late 80's I was employed as a designer by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock assigned to the 688 Class project, so to the person that developed these printable files, Awesome job! The detail is great! I've already printed these in 1/96, but after some searching I've seen some that were done at 1/72 and started printing them at that size. Now for the question, is it more common to build the boat with the scopes permanently down, permanently up or movable? I've seen some folks put the antenna for the remote in the scopes because of running the 2.4ghz remote. Any advice and/or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Make the scope, antenna, and snorkel fairings removable. And here's how to run coaxial cable between the receiver below up to the 2.4gHz antenna above.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I almost always have at least one scope up. I like running at periscope depth and it is a great visual aid. A plus,as David has shown, is you can run an antenna up it or it can be used to bring air into your ballast tank.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Fixed or removable. These were fixed on mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200901_172837.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	156609

Comment

• lewullis
          Ensign
          • Dec 2021

Thanks for the replies, a lot of great information there! Sorry it took so long to offer a word of thanks, it is greatly appreciated. RCJetDude, I saw the post on your build, it's what inspired me to go bigger like you did. It looks great!

Comment

Working...