X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Floquil paints

Still have a a bunch of Floquil brand paints left over from years ago. It’s the railroad colors stuff. Great paint in my experience. There is a restoration project that built decades ago (It was perfect and I screwed it badly trying to weather it and shelved it ever since) that I would like to use these paints on to refinish that boat. Does anyone know what type of thinner I can cut it with to spray out of an airbrush? I think xylene was the original thinner.

Also I will need to seal this paint with a satin or flat top coat. What would work with floquil paint these days? Thanks in advance! I must redeem myself from the shame I brought upon myself years ago by messing up an otherwise flawless build with bad decisions and poorly executed weathering skills.
  • KumaDog
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2021

Floquil was a Lacquer based paint, if I recall correctly. I have thinned it with Lacquer thinner without and issue.Acrylic topcoats do fine on it, Satin, Flat, ect. They may not be as durable as the original, but are east to touch up. I have not used Xylene to thin Floquil, but I suspect it would work. Spray in a WELL ventilated area.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Thank you for sharing this information. Very helpful indeed.

Comment

Working...