X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob K
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • May 2011

K Class submarine

Hi. I am finally back into modelling after a lapse of nearly four decades, and have started on a long-term dream project - to build a WW1 British K Class submarine, complete with retracting funnels !
    I was recommended here by a collegue on Model Boat Mayhem forum, who said maybe you'd be able to help.

Where I am: I have a 53 inch GRP K Class hull from Deans Marine, plus a SD25G Caswell sub-driver with loads of bags of components for it, including Caswell M Class rudder & diving planes, plus a WFly 40MHz FT06-C radio control - just arrived !. (see image).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	subdriver kit 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	100967

Question: The package came with effectively no instructions or photos to indicate what goes where, mounting servos, snort system, how to fit and seal control rods, aerial, etc etc.

Can anyone help me please, otherwise this could be weeks of trial & error !

Many thanks. Bob K
    Last edited by Kazzer; 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM.
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

We have several articles on Sub-drivers etc. I suggest we get the boat done first, so lets start there.

The trickiest part (for me) is always the aft end, getting rudder, props and dive planes all sorted out. I presume we're going to place the Sub-driver low in the boat and amidships? I place and glue a small brass pin pointing upwards, so a small hole in the ballast tank area of the Sub-driver will locate onto it. Strap the Sun-driver down using a Velcro strap, I like the ones with the buckle on. Once you have the SD established, then everything else should fall into place.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of the aft end, so we can see what space there is etc.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I think what Bob is after, is a set of instructions for how to fit out the subdriver, Mike.

Comment

• Bob K
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • May 2011

Sorry, It is the sub-driver unit itself that I would like advice on how to put together. I only have a rough idea about where the internal components electrics and snort system fit into the WTC tube. No instructions came with it.
        Once I have the WTC assembly built and water tank tested I can then consider how to connect it up to prop shafts and diving planes.
        The tube fits nicely into the hull, I had built a tube of same dimensions before ordering it from the States. The unique proprty of this well made system is that at 2.5 inch diameter this is the only driver system that will fit into this very slender 53 inch long hull. Even so, it almost 'fits where it touches' all round.
        Is there a sub-driver unit assembly video available?

Cheers, Bob K

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Here are some SD instructions.

And some really useful videos --

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Bob K
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • May 2011

Many many thanks Kazzer. Very detailed instruction sets, plus extremely detailed videos. I now feel much better equipped to start building up the WTC. I must say I have been very impressed with the quality of the sytem, and appreciate the helpful pre-sales support from Caswell in putting this package together for me. Hopefully I can post updates with photos here as the 'K' gradually comes together. Not having to design a static dive system from scratch will make this unusual project realisable.

Comment

• oztruck
              Commander
              • May 2010

Very interested in this build. Keep up the good work and post some photos. You should start a build log in the competition section.

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Welcome Bob i'm also going to be watching this, i also like the look of that hull, but as mentioned over on the other side, im building M1. but i have some other work ahead of it. I don't build fast, so you can be my learning curve :) That said, you have a lot more above the water, plus the folding funnels so its a much tougher job
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• vital.spark
                  Commander
                  • May 2010

Hello Bob, Im interested in your project as my interests are steamboats and subs. I'v built 2 full size steamboats and 2 r/c sub and am on my 3rd. I would very much like to build a K Class and checked Deans online but couldn't find any subs let alone the K or M class?

Comment

• Bob K
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • May 2011

The Deans K Class hull moulding is on their 'Mouldeans' page. I tried to put a direct link but that was denied. It is an undetailed set of hull mouldings, so not listed under kits. The Caswell SD25G is ideal for this slender hull.

Albion: I would love to read about your M1 when you start building it. Caswell do a really nice fittings kit for this, rudder, diving planes, and the gun barrel. Unless you intend scratch building the Deans hull may be adaptable for an M1.

Oztruck: Not sure if I am up for a 'competition' being a newbie to RC boats, and daft enough to start with a self-challenge that will keep me amused for a long while. However, I will post photos of my build as it progresses, and keep plans in case anyone else would like to try this Caswell/Deans combination.

Personally, I love these older boats. So much more to detail than sleek modern subs. Loads of railings, deck fittings, masts, three deck guns, deck mouted torpedo tubes, and of course retractable funnels !

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

The K is quite hard to find!!!
                      The M class is from Caswell

Bob - i have the same fittings as you, plus i get to use the barrel! The hull is as per link above. I have the first pull experimental hull, so theres some work to do. I did a basic clean up of the flash, but need to spend an hour or two with a dremel
                      Last edited by Albion; 05-25-2011, 03:16 AM.
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Bob K
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • May 2011

I forgot to mention that in my package of subdriver parts from Caswell I have an ADF2 Angle Driver, self levelling module with failsafe, and have just been reading up on it. Amazing device, and so tiny. An eprom-set 'electronic spirit level' to keep the boat level when underwater, links into the pitch control (diving planes), plus a fail safe that will blow ballast if signal is lost. I know experienced submariners will say "Yes . . .", but as a newbie to subs this should make life a lot easier. Dare I say "(dive) plane sailing!". I could have done with something like this on the helicopter I built, and repeatedly crashed, many years ago. In fact, something like this on the original K boats would have been a godsend. Tee hee!

Comment

Working...