X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

Introduction...

Hello! I've been active in R/C for quite a few years and dabbled in a couple of surface boats. Just a few months ago I picked up a Dumas Akula from a local gentleman. He had installed a Sub-driver and turned it into a static diver. Knowing nothing about it, and given that he hadn't run it, I sought out some advice from Dave Merriman. He was kind enough to invite me over to his house and look over my setup. The boat got a maiden voyage (at least by me, anyway) a couple days later and I've been enjoying it since.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I was looking at another site's classified. I see an ad that catches my eye, and it turns out the fellow with the ad was someone I was acquainted with from some years ago Some years ago, I bought a kit for a big, DF MIG-25 Foxbat. I lost my paved runway and had no place to potentially fly the airplane, so I put it up for sale. I talked to a gentleman for some time but we could never really come to an arrangement about shipping (big airplane kit!). I got busy with life and school and a bunch of stuff and didn't think about it until I saw his classified ad. The ad was for a completed 688 class sub. We wound up talking on the phone, and he pointed out another ad he had with a SS type IX hull and WTC. Well, after a bit of wrangling we worked out a deal for both boats. So overnight my sub fleet has grown from one lone sub to small squadron.

But I didn't come to brag. After some thinking and looking, I think the type IX is going to go on the back burner while I accumulate stuff for it. It promises to be a much more involved project. The 688 is much closer to being ready to run, so I think it will get attention first.

But.

The WTC is set up for dual shafts, and apparently customized for the type IX. The 688 is a little smaller, I would expect that there would be plenty of reserve bouyancy for it. Can I convert the wtc back to single shaft operation by just removing the gearbox? Is this something I should refer to Mr. Merriman for? It appears to be fairly straightforward, looking at it, but who knows. this is kind of new to me.

I welcome thoughts and opinions...

Oh yeah.. Akula in the water. Scale details in the works....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_135157-X3.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	137961
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Is the two-shaft gearbox integral to the motor bulkhead itself? Or, is it a separate unit bolted to the after face of the motor bulkhead? Pictures would help.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Apr 2020

Worth a thousand words....

Name:	D7K_6121-X2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	137980

Name:	D7K_6122-X2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	137981
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by a1965l
        Worth a thousand words....

Click image for larger version  Name:	D7K_6121-X2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	137980

Click image for larger version  Name:	D7K_6122-X2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	137981
        OK. Two ways to do this.

Pull the gear-splitter and make up a Dumas coupler. I assume you have a 1/96 scale LA? If so, that motor installed now is way too much for such a boat ...

… Or, how about this:

Since your local, come over here and I'll swap out that motor bulkhead with a traditional MB equipped with a 380 sized brushed motor, geared 3:1. Most suited for a 1/96 LA.

Name:	DSCN0110 (2).JPG
Views:	261
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	137984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	137985Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	137986Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0104.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	137987

Your call.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-15-2020, 11:15 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Apr 2020

The LA is coming from Tim Cobb, and he advertises it as a 1/72. I should have it in hand today. Doing just a little math, I get 60 inches for a 1/72 scale boat. Tim says 59" long for his, so that's about right.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by a1965l
            The LA is coming from Tim Cobb, and he advertises it as a 1/72. I should have it in hand today. Doing just a little math, I get 60 inches for a 1/72 scale boat. Tim says 59" long for his, so that's about right.
            Oh! Excellent. Then retain the current motor, pull the gear-splitter, make up an intermediate shaft with Dumas universal fittings, and sin no more!

Tim does aircraft quality glass work, so the above waterline portions of this model (LA's have a very low freeboard) won't displace much. The existing 3" ballast tank will have more than enough 'lift' to get that model to the designed waterline. This is going to be a cake-walk.

David
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-15-2020, 02:05 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

This is going to be a cake-walk.

David
              Famous last words. Although it may be for you, I seem to think that and stuff goes sideways LOL
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• a1965l
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2020

Maybee not a cake walk, but not the hardest R/C project I've ever tackled. I built this a couple years ago from Ron Weiss plans and some laser cut parts from a great guy in NC to do business with, Camden Custom Cutters:

Name:	DSC_0039-X3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	137994

The photo might be a little deceiving, that's a 1/3 scale with a 112" wingspan. No build threads, but at least I have a club full of builders for advice. Same thing here...

First task is going to find some freeware 3d modeling software and draw up some WTC saddles. I used to have licenses for both solidworks and Inventor, but they were student licenses and have expired. I'm not totally adverse to spending money, but those software products are expensive with a capitol E. Sure, I could just cut some plastic foam board or such, but the printer tends to be underused, and one of the justifications I have for buying it was RC stuff.

I guess I need to go start an assemble thread, huh....

Comment

• Aug 2008

Talk'n parts done.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• a1965l
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2020

Yes. yes it is. Order into nautilus yesterday for some bits 'n' pieces and some electronics. Now....

Comment

Working...