X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Glue

What type of glue should I use to attached the WTC saddles to a fiberglass hull? I used JB Weld and it worked fine for a few days, and then simply broke off.......

Thanks
    Farlan
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by secrtwpn
    What type of glue should I use to attached the WTC saddles to a fiberglass hull? I used JB Weld and it worked fine for a few days, and then simply broke off.......

Thanks
    Farlan
    Slow cure epoxy.

Rough up the inside of the hull and outside of the saddles. I also pin the saddles to the hull using 2-56 machine screws. The saddle-hull interface sees a lot of stress owing to the rigidity of the attached SD and flexibility of the hull. Also, the different expansion rates between the saddles polyurethane resin, the glue used, and the epoxy/polyester/styrene/wood/unobtanium of the hull, all put a great deal of stress on the union between saddle and hull. A little appreciated situation unique to our form of r/c vehicle operation.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

I'll second what David said. I've been using Marine Epoxy from LocTite and haven't had any issues. Just be mindful that it needs at least 12-24hrs to really get set up.

-Brady
      Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

I started using PL construction adhesive in the last couple of years and am happy with it. Works for foam as well as the formers. Has enough initial stiction to hold the foam in place and moisture helps it set up.

Comment

Working...