• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DMTNT
    Commander
    • Jun 2018

Attaching Hull Halves

Good Afternoon Gentleman,

Long time lurker, even longer time trying on again, off again to get a boat in the water. Currently turning a Trumpeter Seawolf into Jimmy Carter and I've been pleased that the hull has taken-on the shape of a submarine more than it has that of a banana. My question to the community is in regard to securing the two halves of the hull together. I've been following Merriman's instructions on how to convert the kit and am aware of the method of creating a lip to go under the aft upper/lower hull join, attaching a nut to the underside and then dropping a screw in from the top. It's a much more elegant method than some of my original ideas.

But what about if you have two halves of a hull that fit extremely snugly when joined together? Is a retaining screw(s) absolutely necessary? I'm more curious than anything to here what those who've been there and done that have to say on the matter.

Appreciate the help.

-Brady
    Dead men tell no tales...
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Brady,
    Welcome!
    Simply put, yes. It may not be a he first time you slam into reverse or when you accidentally run into something, but eventually it can/will come apart while you are running. Use the screw. Do not cut corners especially if this a first time sub.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DMTNT
      Commander
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by trout
      Brady,
      Welcome!
      Do not cut corners especially if this a first time sub.
      I fully intend to do this one the right way. Thank you very much for the advice, sir!

I'll see if maybe I can get some pictures and a build thread going if y'all are interested.

-Brady

Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Yes! I am a big fan of build threads! There will be someone else who will want to build a Jimmy Carter and will use your build to learn from. Plus I learn from them too!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...