X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

making a clean right angle cut in a fiberglass hull

Once again I want to tap into the vast experience represented on this forum.

I have a need to make a right angle cut in a fiberglass hull where I must save and eventually use both pieces, i.e., the hull AND the piece I cut out. In the past I'd use a Dremel tool with a circular saw with the finest kerf to make a start hole and then work a hand saw into the hole to finish the cut.

Surely, (I know - don't call you Shirley) there's a better way - isn't there?

Case in point - the youtube video of Bob's build of a Thor Seawolf where he cut a square piece out of the upper hull in order to mount the forward dive planes onto the lower hull. Great idea, Bob, I'm going to steal that one.

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Make two parallel lines where you want to part the structure. Space between them 1/16". Use a carbide cut-off disc or diamond wheel to make the cut -- it's kurff will be a bit less than 1/16". Block sand each piece down to the line. Build up the edge of one piece with plastic strip stock or a CA-baking soda slurry. Done.

More pretty pictures of t he 1/35 Type-23: http://s262.photobucket.com/user/dme...?sort=3&page=1

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

David,

Once again, you have justified your existence. I hadn't considered cutting out a bigger kerf and then building it back up with strip stock. Good idea.

Feel free to continue breathing my air.

Dan
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by roedj
        Once again, you have justified your existence.
        That is a funny statement. I am laughing,. You have a great sense of humor, thank you!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

(he will pay).....
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

David, did you get anytime to get that Type 23 running well?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
              David, did you get anytime to get that Type 23 running well?
              No. simply almost no time to play. Between the flood recovery and production work, no time. The rate of sales with Nautilus Drydocks is much higher than before. Mike did the heavy lifting by organizing the forum, finding sources of supply, and getting the word out. Bob is the best guy to take over the good work Mike did and take it all on a more directed, streamlined direction.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Anyone notice that in one photo we can see Daves nice manicure and bracelets.
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                  Anyone notice that in one photo we can see Daves nice manicure and bracelets.
                  You're looking at the E half of D&E Miniatures, pal!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

The better half I might add.

Comment

Working...