Views:	430
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	159268

V
  • Sam Victory
    Commander
    • Sep 2021

The Nautilus:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2cca00dd35c7ac62f909eeea5ddcfd55.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	159270Click image for larger version  Name:	6ab0e718defc6638561b45dcd6ce7081.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	159271Click image for larger version  Name:	90bd4b64f3a096aec8b0c5924c8bbdad.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	159272Click image for larger version  Name:	ac9f9a8a6b1dc7859e9c4603fd29fa36.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	159273Click image for larger version  Name:	e7d2cbbaf4d6081d473d61ec1993635e.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	159274Click image for larger version  Name:	14-4073947-rrrdve.png Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	159275

Comment

• James Wittaker
      Lieutenant
      • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Sam Victory
      French Daphne class sub
      Click image for larger version

Name:	5c0ed42c508eae70299b9637e231e6d.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	159263Click image for larger version

Name:	97d515e3aa61fdcd0d43bfc7da09426.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	159264Click image for larger version

Name:	caract01.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	159265Click image for larger version

Name:	daphne10.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	159266Click image for larger version

Name:	daphne11.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	159267Click image for larger version

Name:	coupes15.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	159268

V
      Any clear plans for the Daphne class?

Comment

• Akula54
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by James Wittaker

Any clear plans for the Daphne class?
        Hi,

I've got 5 sheets as above plans of this sub.
        PM me if you're still interested.

Name:	DAPHNE1959C271resized.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	162715

Comment

• Sam Victory
          Commander
          • Sep 2021

Honestly, there are 10 sheets of that , completely. I got them of DJVU format, anyone can PM me if interested .

V

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Honestly, there are 10 sheets of that , completely. I got them of DJVU format, anyone can PM me if interested .

V
            Damn!

If I didn't have 20 some uncompleted projects on the wall I would be all over this thing!!!!

I know Steve Reichmuth (spelling?) would be most interested. He's one hellofa builder.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Akula54
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jul 2011

V
              Yes, I should have the 5 other sheets on another HDD but IMO some of them are useless for a modeler.
              We may have the same source, the historical defense service, which made available a large number of French navy ships plans online.
              The problem is that this service is no longer available after hacker attacks few years ago.
              I made a request to the defense archives last year for a Narval Class, and they sent me scans of very poor quality plans... real pity.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                Commander
                • Sep 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Damn!

If I didn't have 20 some uncompleted projects on the wall I would be all over this thing!!!!

I know Steve Reichmuth (spelling?) would be most interested. He's one hellofa builder.

David
                Hell David! Thank you. Your Spelling is correct Dave. I'm a bit rusty but coming back into this. Bob is now 3d printing the French Aréthuse class
                in 1/32 scale now. After years it is finally happening.

I think French boats for the most part are very interesting & some have very hull attractive shapes interpreting the same design
                problems other Navies do.

Bob Marin made a few good points saying he isn't sure French subs may sell well. I said maybe so, lets see? All that's planned is my dream boat
                for now. He reminded me that most sub subject have a 'history', The type 7 & 9, the American fleet boats, the American and soviet
                subs. Correct me Bob if I'm inaccurate.

I expressed to Bob a French design of the right size and subject might be a refreshing alternative. The designs are interesting from the same era,
                and who knows what may open up? Foster more French customers? All boats have a history, but much of the cold war subs are the same
                as the French boats I imagine, and are just as clouded in mystery and classified operations.

The Aréthuse was the smaller & really the first in principle hunter killer boats built post war from scratch for that purpose according to Norman
                Friedman., not retrofitted to that mission later like our Guppies. The French Aréthuse were superior tot he American Barracuda (SSK-1), Bass (SSK-2),
                & Bonita (SSK-3). It is perhaps not a fair comparison, as their roles and missions designed for each were different - the American SSK's were designed
                essentially to float and form a sub barrier & transmit contacts to other air & surface assets as well. They had range but hort on speed. The Aréthuse
                in similar size - antisub work - were short on range and much much faster. But they could get away with no 'range' , because their operational areas
                were the Mediterranean anyways & the eastern Atlantic approaching Gibraltar. The American solution ultimately would be abandoning the SSK & building
                USS Thresher SSN-593 in concept and practice.

The Daphne boats the subject of this thread are a expanded design evolution of the earlier boats.
                The Aréthuse have no stern tubes, since their role was primary ASW. The Dauphines by contrast where the standard new (then) fleet submarines
                till the French introduced nuclear propulsion. 8 bow tubes! 4 stern tubes in the aft casing. That many bow tubes, have to go to the Israeli
                Dolphins boats in bow tubes. Surprisingly, the first French nuclear powered vessel was a SSBN, not an attack boat. It
                reflects then how urgently France President De Gaulle wanted to develop its own nuclear deterrent triad then. Any ways, all interesting to me.

Thank you David! You are a remarkable individual. Bowing "I am not worthy, I am not worthy"...lol.

Steven
                Last edited by Albacore 569; 07-09-2022, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                  Commander
                  • Sep 2020

Name:	sUuUOrp.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	162786Click image for larger version  Name:	ycaPpoR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	162783Click image for larger version  Name:	mfznx20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	162784
                  Bob Martins 3d printer working hard in PVC material! Thank you. These are photos from Bobs shop.

Last edited by Albacore 569; 07-09-2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	v0IXdbJ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	162835Here is a close up of Rubis class SSN (or French term -SNA) showing the pre-swirl fixed Stators David Merriman and others have discussed in other threads here. I am guessing 11 preswirl fixed staors to smooth out flow to a 7 blade propulsor caused by a 4 control surface cruciform stern. LOL. Steven

Comment

• Albacore 569
                      Commander
                      • Sep 2020

Bow of Aréthuse class subs. IDK how the French do it, elegant lines and still bow has this cool sea monster impression too. Why I think these boats are so Kwel.Click image for larger version  Name:	osVEyWm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	162954
                      Last edited by Albacore 569; 07-16-2022, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• gantu
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• Sam Victory
                          Commander
                          • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Akula54

Yes, I should have the 5 other sheets on another HDD but IMO some of them are useless for a modeler.
                          We may have the same source, the historical defense service, which made available a large number of French navy ships plans online.
                          The problem is that this service is no longer available after hacker attacks few years ago.
                          I made a request to the defense archives last year for a Narval Class, and they sent me scans of very poor quality plans... real pity.
                          Honestly, I might have what you're talking about, which is a collection of French Navy ship drawings, nearly 500 ships in all. They took me a lot of effort and time to download, and some money. The folder is huge, several gigabytes.

V

Comment

• Albacore 569
                            Commander
                            • Sep 2020

Musée national de la Marine (National Navy Museum) is a maritime museum located in the Palais de Chaillot, Trocadéro, in the 16th arrondissement of Paris. It has annexes at Brest, Port-Louis, Rochefort (Musée National de la Marine de Rochefort), Toulon and Saint-Tropez.

You can contact them via email im sure. They usually answer English emails back in English

I also years ago contacted the maritime museum in Greenwich, London. The had all the detailed Drawings of HMS Meteorite the ex U-1407 as configured my Vickers at Barrow. These were invaluable. Also contact the maritime museum in Greenwich, London.. The drawings sent detailed everything!!!! They shipped the drawings in mail tubes. Back then the latest submarines drawings were of HMS Excalibur and HMS Explorer. They wrote it would take because of the official secrets act for 50 years wait to pass before drawings of HMS Dreadnought & the Valant's maybe available. That was sometime ago. I'm sure they a have something on these SSN's too.

Steve
                            Last edited by Albacore 569; 07-27-2022, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Akula54
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Albacore 569
                              Bob Martins 3d printer working hard in PVC material! Thank you. These are photos from Bobs shop.[/I]

This is very interesting...
                              will it be available for sale soon ?
                              Last edited by Akula54; 07-26-2022, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Working...