X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Spettel
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2009

gas system components

any of you guys used Clippard valves ect for the gas systems? i have some of the tubing
    but was wondering if the valves would work for our application on the balast tank vent/blow.
    thanks Tom
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Hi Tom

I'm not speaking from experience here, just from a general understanding of what I've heard works and what I've heard doesn't. Having said that, a clippard valve can be used as your blow valve but will work poorly as a vent valve. By their design, a clippard valve has a very small opening so it requires more pressure to move a significant quantity of air/gas through it in a small amount of time. Your pressurized gas source will have little difficulty forcing its way through the clippard's small aperature, but the low pressure air which occupies your ballast tank will take forever and a day to finish venting. Vent valves are best designed to withstand little pressure but must have a large opening to permit the low pressure ballast tank air to escape in a reasonable amount of time.
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KevinMc
      Hi Tom

I'm not speaking from experience here, just from a general understanding of what I've heard works and what I've heard doesn't. Having said that, a clippard valve can be used as your blow valve but will work poorly as a vent valve. By their design, a clippard valve has a very small opening so it requires more pressure to move a significant quantity of air/gas through it in a small amount of time. Your pressurized gas source will have little difficulty forcing its way through the clippard's small aperature, but the low pressure air which occupies your ballast tank will take forever and a day to finish venting. Vent valves are best designed to withstand little pressure but must have a large opening to permit the low pressure ballast tank air to escape in a reasonable amount of time.
      Kevin's on the money when talking about the 'mini' Clippard valves. I once used one as a pilot-control-valve to operate a piston actuated vent valve on a ballast tank -- the valve itself is ported so small that it, by itself, is unsuitable as a vent valve (medium CFM, low pressure). And, as he pointed out, they are fine as a blow valve (medium CFM, medium pressure).

However, and unless Clippard has changed the internal seating material of the mini-valve in the last 20 years ...

... The standard mini-valve can not be used with hydrocarbon liquids or gasses as the rubber will melt within a day or two. So, employing the Clippard mini-valve with a system employing the typical air-brush propellant gas is a fools errand. They're fine with air, nitrogen, CO2, and just about any other none-hydrocarbon bearing gas.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tom Spettel
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2009

thanks guys ... i do remember the seals issue from a few years ago.. i was hoping i could use some of their needle valves, copper tubing and miniature manifold blocks. i was going to use the clippard stuff for the blow cycle only. the whole idea was to make a nice clean
        installation as well as be able to "fine tune" the gas flow to the balast tank without turning
        the whole WTC into a Rube goldberg machine.
        Tom

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

That makes me mad. Subtek sold me a propel back up system to be used on their Albacore using that very same valve. Thats why its called a backup, so you wont use it very often!!!Give him a soapbox!He's on his favorite
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...