X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Receivers: Channels and Frequencies

We decided to use the Sombra Labs SL-8 Receiver with our Kilo Subdriver. (Both came from Caswell.)

It's not abundantly clear which servo goes into which pin set.

We're using a Futaba receiver operating on 72 MHz. We have a synthesized tuner pack on the Futaba, which looks to be cooperating with the SL-8. It's pretty nice to be able to switch frequencies on both units without having to buy crystals.

The Futaba 9C is designed to control gliders, Helis and planes. Even though subs fly in (and to a lesser degree on) the water, it's not clear which flight mode to use, nor how to assign the controls. Forward dive planes aren't really analogs to ailerons, since they don't move in opposition. (Next project, maybe?) But a rudder is a rudder, and rear dive planes certainly seem to function like elevators. Power controls seem not to translate too well, since RC planes don't seem to put their engines in reverse.

Is there a question here? Two threads, actually...

Is 72 MHz fine for subs? I've heard suggestions that 75 MHz is better.

How to you set up the radio? Is it a plane, helo, or glider? (I assume plane.) Which servos go to which channel function? (Rudder to rudder connection seems obvious, as does the elevator to rear dive plane) But what about the forward dive planes? And what about the propulsion control?
  • CG Bob
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2008

In the USA, 72 MHz is an AIRCRAFT only set of frequencies. To operate a sub, boat, or car, you need to be on 75 MHz. 27 MHz (and 50 Mhz with a Ham license) can be used for any type of model. This is according to the FCC regs. 2.4 GHz systems can be used for any model too, but the signal won't penetrate the water and is useless for the sub skipper.

Set up the sub radio like this.
    Channel 1 - right stick moves left/right - rudder
    Channel 2 - right stick moves up/down - rear dive planes on smaller models (like 1:96 scale nuke boats), forward dive planes on other models
    Channel 3 - left stick up/down - throttle
    Channel 4 - left stick left/right - ballast tank
    Channel 6 - usually a rotary switch for flaps - rear planes (rear and bow planes on SEAVIEW) on most models, connected to APC
    Last edited by CG Bob; 09-20-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Outrider
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

Thanks for the Info

Hmm...

My project is a 1:144 Kilo conversion, which has operable bow planes thanks to the Meriman WTC and conversion parts.

Sounds like Channel 2 for stern planes and channel 6 for the bow...or is it the other way around?

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

WFLY radio system

Go to

>downloads
        > R/C Modeling Files
        >The WFLY RADIO SYSTEM.pdf
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Outrider
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

Good Basic Instructions

Mike,

Thanks for the pointer to the download site. I've been into the downloads section before before but never navigated too far into the site. I'd either used the latest download file or taken a direct link to a file from elsewhere in the site. I'm glad I made the trip, as there's a lot of useful info to be found in the downloads section.

While exploring, I've noticed that there's some variability about how the bow and stern planes are controlled. (i.e. some put the bow planes on the joy stick and the stern planes on a dial instead of the other way around.) I assume this is life mirroring art--some designs seem work better that way. It seems easy to experiment to find the right answer for each particular sub.

In any event, I can now report success with the radio control aspects of the project. My son has the Futaba T/R (9C Super) and the Sombra SL-8 paired up and operating. (One important point in the sync process is to ensure the T/R is in PPM mode, not PCM. You'll find this pointer in Sombra's instructions. The synthesized receiver is a very nice thing to have--saves you money on crystals and works on both 72 and 75 MHz.)

With the radio set-up done, we're just waiting for parts to finish things up.
          Last edited by Outrider; 09-28-2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: Status update

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
            Hmm...

My project is a 1:144 Kilo conversion, which has operable bow planes thanks to the Meriman WTC and conversion parts.

Sounds like Channel 2 for stern planes and channel 6 for the bow...or is it the other way around?

The other way round: Channel-2 for the bow planes, channel-6 for the stern planes. And channel-5 for the LPB if elect to go with that option.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...