X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fwjeff
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2009

Engine shaft Seal Replacement

Here are some photos on replacing the seals on the prop shafts. Photo 1 - removal of old seal. It works pretty well to use a #11 blade that has a bit of the tip broken off. Insert it about 1/16" between the seal housing & support. When you pry out on it the housing tends to rotate as it lifts out. Photo 2 - this is what it looks like partially removed. Photo 3 - After the seal is out clean out any remaining RTV and remove remaining debris. Next polish any raised material on the prop shaft to remove sharp edges that would damage the new seal. I ran the motors near full rpm & used 800 grit paper with some oil. Next put some RTV on the outside diameter of the new seal housing, put a drop of oil inside the seal & press it into place. Smoth up the RTV & be sure there is a continous seal around the housing.
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Me?

I simply pop the entire seal body-foundation assembly off the face of the motor bulkhead, and push the seal body clear of the foundation with a big dowel from the inside.

Going with the knife is to risk breaking through the plastic seal body.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• fwjeff
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2009

Hi,
      As usual, I do things the hard way! That would be easier & safer for the parts. It would also make sealing the new parts easier & cleaner.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by fwjeff
        Hi,
        As usual, I do things the hard way! That would be easier & safer for the parts. It would also make sealing the new parts easier & cleaner.

Hey! ... how do you think I come up with the 'right' way to do things?

That's right: by doing all the wrong things first.

When I present to you a construction, repair, or trouble-shooting methodology you can be assured that the genesis of those operations was a miss-mash of wrong tools, out-of-sequence steps, unsuitable materials, and improper techniques. Only after I've figured things out in the most orderly and efficient manner do I present them to you in the form of a Cabal Report, product instructions, or comments here and elsewhere on the Net.

I'm simply an ape dressed up nice, speaks well, and has figured out how to use spell-check.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...