X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barnacle Breath
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2008

ADF failsafe and Sombra problem???

I am just about finished with the Seaview but when testing the electronic systems I came across a situation that presents a problem. And I might add a waste of gas....
    I have the Sombra SL-8 as the reciever (SL872) and the ADF (AK1) as the angle keeper and utilizing it's failsafe for the gas release servo.
    The problem is - when powering up the SL-8 (either using the Mtroniks speed controler BEC or using a 4.8v separate battery) the ADF failsafe moves the ballast servo to full blow position for about two seconds. When the Sombra RX has initialized it moves to neutral. Everything performs hot straight and normal after that.
    Is this just the way the SL-8 and the ADF failsafe are designed to work togther? Is that the way the ADF is designed? If so should I be looking at using the SL-8 failsafe funtions to circumvent the two second boot up servo travel?
    Any ideas???

Paul
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Barnacle Breath
    I am just about finished with the Seaview but when testing the electronic systems I came across a situation that presents a problem. And I might add a waste of gas....
    I have the Sombra SL-8 as the reciever (SL872) and the ADF (AK1) as the angle keeper and utilizing it's failsafe for the gas release servo.
    The problem is - when powering up the SL-8 (either using the Mtroniks speed controler BEC or using a 4.8v separate battery) the ADF failsafe moves the ballast servo to full blow position for about two seconds. When the Sombra RX has initialized it moves to neutral. Everything performs hot straight and normal after that.
    Is this just the way the SL-8 and the ADF failsafe are designed to work togther? Is that the way the ADF is designed? If so should I be looking at using the SL-8 failsafe funtions to circumvent the two second boot up servo travel?
    Any ideas???

Paul
    I see that too in all boats using the ADF fail-safe. don't sweat it!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Hi Paul,

As David has already posted, that's a known issue. The real culprit there is that during power-up/initialization the servo has power but no signal, so if it moves (some do, some don't) there's no command to tell it to "no stop, move back!". If you command your ballast servo in full vent before powering down I expect this should help. (And yes, a more permanent solution is on the horizon...)

KMc
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• Barnacle Breath
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2008

Thanks for the Info.

Thanks Dave and KMc for the quick response and the info. Sounds like both ideas are what is in order.

Regards,
        Paul

Comment

Working...