X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barnacle Breath
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2008

Seaview Power for Sombra Reciever?

Ok, don't laugh, but I have a conundrum. I am using the Sombra Reciever in the Merriman WTC for the Seaview. The Sombra will operate on 3.5 to 9.0 volts. The main battery is 7.2 volts. If I use the 7.2 volts the output to the servos will be 7.2 volts ( I checked that with Sombra Labs, Inc. to make sure what goes in comes out, same of same.) Yeh, everybody might know that but I didn't, now I do.
    The question is if I use 7.2 volts for the Sombra Reciever power will I cook the servos or shorten there life span? Or do I use a BEC?

Barnacle Breath
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Not wishing to sound like a smart-ass, but give it a try.

I don't know if this would put a strain on your four servos or not. Tell you what: go the high voltage on the receiver bus and tell us how it goes (If you fry the servos, let me know and I'll replace them). And we all learn a bit more about what will and will not take the higher receiver bus voltage.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

I can't speak for the servos either, but that's beyond the "Absolute maximum" rating of a number of the parts used in the ADF and LiPo Guard (if you're using them). They were designed for use with a 5V regulated BEC.
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yikes! I should have checked with Kevin before making the above statement. That settles it: find yourself a BEC, plug it in between the battery and 'battery' port of the receiver and keep the receiver bus at the recommended 4.5-5 volts.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Barnacle Breath
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Dec 2008

Well Hi Guys,
          Just for the record, I gave it whirl. I powered up the Sombra with 7.2 volts and used a donor servo for the test. The servo was not a happy camper or maybe too happy. It was a bit erratic and a we bit louder then when operated at 4.8 volts. It sure was not going to put up with additional voltage for long. Anyway it was fun finding out. I am just going to use the ESC's BEC,
          as designed. And a fine design it is.
          Dave while I have your attention. I am completeing the wiring and set up of Seaview Driver. Seems there is some binding on the Port motor output shaft. The Starboard motor runs free and responds to very little trottle, But Port motor does not start to spin at all until I get to about 20 percent of the stick travel. Also the RPM is lower compared to Starboard shaft. What's up????

Barnacle Breath

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Barnacle Breath
            Well Hi Guys,
            Just for the record, I gave it whirl. I powered up the Sombra with 7.2 volts and used a donor servo for the test. The servo was not a happy camper or maybe too happy. It was a bit erratic and a we bit louder then when operated at 4.8 volts. It sure was not going to put up with additional voltage for long. Anyway it was fun finding out. I am just going to use the ESC's BEC,
            as designed. And a fine design it is.
            Dave while I have your attention. I am completeing the wiring and set up of Seaview Driver. Seems there is some binding on the Port motor output shaft. The Starboard motor runs free and responds to very little trottle, But Port motor does not start to spin at all until I get to about 20 percent of the stick travel. Also the RPM is lower compared to Starboard shaft. What's up????

Barnacle Breath
            I assume you're using the MTronics ESC? I've never blown a BEC associated with one of those yet, so you should be OK in that department.

As to the binding of the SEAVIEW SD motor shaft within its seal and bearing: Grab the end of the shaft (the wet side of things) -- not at its after end, but up close to the face of the seal -- and yank it left, right, up, and down and test. do this with power on to the SD so you can run the motors between yanking sessions (yuck!).

I know this sounds stupid, but the transverse yanking on the shaft will help re-seat the Oilite bearing buried within the shaft watertight seal housing. It's the Oilite that is hanging up on the shaft.

Don't go crazy and break the thing -- just a bit at a time, running the motor between yankings. You should observe a tightening or loosening of the shaft on the seal-bearing, so concentrate on the yanks in the direction that loosens the fit between shaft and bearing. Duh!

Let me know how it goes. If you can't get that trick to work you'll have to return the motor bulkhead for service here.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Barnacle Breath
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Dec 2008

Next Move

Hi David,

Well I tried the yankin' realignment method on the Port drive. Not to confused with percusive maintenance. But alas no go, it's still binding. Darn, so close to completion. Let me know the next move.

:wink:
              Barnacle Breath

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hi David,

Well I tried the yankin' realignment method on the Port drive. Not to confused with percusive maintenance. But alas no go, it's still binding. Darn, so close to completion. Let me know the next move.

:wink:
                Barnacle Breath
                OK ... so much for the cave-man approach. ****!

Carefully bubble-wrap the motor bulkhead (just the motor bulkhead and attached device rails and attached devices) and double-box it so the pushrods don't get creamed and send it to me for repair.

David D Merriman
                835 Holly Hedge Ave.
                Virginia Beach, VA 23452

Along with a few bucks to take care of return shipping. I'll get right on it.

You people!

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Barnacle Breath
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Dec 2008

Back on the build

Hi Dave,
                  Thanks for the quick turn around on the SD. I hope to have her ready for the SF Fun Run on Sept 20th...:wink:

Regards,
                  Barnacle Breath

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hi Dave,
                    Thanks for the quick turn around on the SD. I hope to have her ready for the SF Fun Run on Sept 20th...:wink:

Regards,
                    Barnacle Breath
                    Very good. And an excellent packaging job you did too -- nothing says 'nice' to me as loud as someone who exercises care with the product. Thank you for that.

Get that beast running and send us all some pictures of the Good ship, SEAVIEW making the seas safe for sea-weed monsters, zombie Crain's, and Nazi sub captain ghosts.

David,
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...