tubing supplied with small SNORT system - is the ID too small?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

tubing supplied with small SNORT system - is the ID too small?

Mike,

Tonight I spent some time trying unsuccessfully to get the supplied 1/16" black tubing on the small SNORT pump outlet and inlet. I measured the OD of both the inlet and outlet and they measured 3.1mm. The tubing supplied with this product appears to be much too small in ID. The tubing has no give to it.

Is the tubing way too small or is there a trick to it. I tried expanding the tubing with a nail but it just wouldn't stretch.

Help!

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • ConcreteTurtle
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

Hi Dan,

I thought I might add my 2 cents if you don't mind.

The same tubing turned up with my LPB system, and I find it a snug fit over 1/16" hollow brass tubing. I'm hoping that doing this will let me use the spare 1/16" control rod seals on my subdriver to run the LBP system.

I've done some very basic testing with this configuration, and it seems ok. By my reckoning it will take the mini snort pump just under a minute to displace the water from the ballast tank.

That said, getting the ends of the tubing over the pump input and output was a PITA. Crack That WHip. Using hot water seemed to soften it up a bit and help.

Best of luck, and let us know if you come up with something better.

CT.

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Dip the end of the tubing in some boiling water to get it hot - this will make it very "stretchy". Now use a nail or similar pointed object to stretch it open and allow to cool. This will flair the end of the tubing to the point where you can push it over the nipple on the Snort pump. Good luck!
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

refer to post 8 for suitable nail
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• SteveJ
          Lieutenant
          • Aug 2008

Take a 3/32" brass or steel rod and file one end to a blunt point and either heat the tube in the hot water as suggested or heat the point of the rod (not to hot or you will melt the tube) insert the rod into the tube about 1/8".
          Worked for me on my Seaview build.

Steve

That's how I do it. Good job, Steve.

David,
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

All,

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll try them out this weekend.

Dan
            Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Here's the modifications I made to pump ports to allow 1/16" flex-tubing to be used for complete system:
              Rick L.
              --------------------------------------------
              * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
              Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

You hold the Caswell supplied 1/8" o.d. flexible tube in one hand, and with the other hand ram a 3/32" hot, tapered pin into the tube about 1/4" in and pull out smartly. This slightly deforms the end of the flexible tube to increase its internal diameter to fit the pump nipples.

Why do you guys make this stuff so hard?

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...