X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobotomy
    Ensign
    • Mar 2009

ADF with Failsafe problem

I just received a Caswell ADF with failsafe. (ADF16).
    Instructions are great, but I seem to have a problem getting the ballast/failsafe circuit to work.

On initial power up, ADF green & red go through self check OK, but immediately afterwards red starts to flash rapidly ("fast blink") MODE. joystick ballast command is inoperative. I have ADF pitch & ballast on channels 3 & 4 respectively.
    Channels 1 & 2 work fine even while ADF is fast blinking red.

When I shut down receiver, solid red light goes on & ballast servo does go to full command.

Batteries (both Rx & Tx) are fully charged, unit polarity correct.

Removal of the ADF unit restores normal control functions.

I have not adjusted the failsafe POT, as it is not easily adjustable due to its construction; (POT blade indents are shallow with a small protrusion from the center of the POT so screwdriver blade cannot catch the POT indents securely). I need to modify my screwdriver for this, but reading instructions, I do not think that affects signal, just ballast control movement.

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks
    Steve
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Do what you have to to move the fail-safe pot. Likely it is fail-safe set for servo 'neutral', and you have to dial in the correct amount and direction (with the pot) of servo travel on loss-of-signal to achieve the blow condition on your SD. I think it's working, you just don't see it working because the fail-safe is set for neutral on loss-of-signal.

Kevin ... help!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear of your woes. What ESC/BEC are you using? What receiver? Also please check the software version (written in black pen in the white box) on the back side of the ADF - it'll either read ADF1a or ADF1b. From the symptoms you describe it sounds like you could be feeding the ADF with more than 5V, but let's let your answers guide us to the solution...
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• lobotomy
        Ensign
        • Mar 2009

Thanks Dave, Kevin!

Weekends are only chance I get to work on the subs, sorry my reply is delayed. I really appreciate your help!

The ADF unit is marked 1b...(I mistook it for 16 in my first post).

I am running the ADF unit with a Novak Spy Micro ESC & Novak XXtra Synthesized Receiver.

As Dave suggested, I carefully moved the fail safe pot to be sure I was not in a dead spot.

I checked the receivers output voltage to the servos on channels 2 through 5; the output voltage at the receiver pins are 5 to 5.01 volts.

Seems like the ADF is more quirky now than on initial start up last week. When all is connected & turned on, the ballast servo arm flutters when the pitch control is activated. Almost like their is leakage across the 2 circuits.

If I disconnect the failsafe portion of the ADF, the pitch control functions.

Kevin, anyway I can get this unit to you for a checking/repair?

I really like it & do not want to give up on it at this point.

Should I open a ticket with caswell CS?

Thanks
        Steve

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by lobotomy

Should I open a ticket with caswell CS?

Thanks
          Steve

No, Kevin is the right end of this horse!:)
          As a general note, you should always seek tech support from the manufacturer first.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• KevinMc
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Email sent to expedite resolution...
            Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
            KMc Designs

Comment

Working...