X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

converting an sas to an ez driver

I will be equiping a 2.5 single motor dual shaft to operate multiple boats. A 1:72 type IX and a 1:48 type IV. Using one of Mikes downsized fleet of cast aways I will make it a simple EZdriver to operate in salt water. First thing I will do is see what sort of Radio/Reciever combo is required and what switches, servos, seals, pushrods, connectors, ect. needed for the operation.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
    I will be equiping a 2.5 single motor dual shaft to operate multiple boats. A 1:72 type IX and a 1:48 type IV. Using one of Mikes downsized fleet of cast aways I will make it a simple EZdriver to operate in salt water. First thing I will do is see what sort of Radio/Reciever combo is required and what switches, servos, seals, pushrods, connectors, ect. needed for the operation.
    What you're looking to do is something like this, Dave:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0773.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	92444Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0774.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	92445Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0799.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	92446Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0802.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	92447
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      What you're looking to do is something like this, Dave:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28788[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28789[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28791[/ATTACH]
      Aye to the electronics but Mikes tube has the motors mounted and bulkheads but I will need push rods and connectors. Prop shafts, bearings.... dont really have a list of what I need, more like a short list of what I have when I get the delivery. Perhaps this afternoons mail.

Comment

• Aug 2008

When you get things sorted out, let me know what you need.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Got the box from Caswell yesterday with the two WTCs. The 2.5" wtc is an old Skipjack with a single motor single shaft and an asperation system in the balast compartment. I am going to attempt to utilise most of the parts to build a simple driver with dual shaft output with 2 pushrods aft and one forward. I havent a clue as to how Im going to accomplish this so, Im open to all suggestions and ideas.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0556.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	92500Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0557.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	92501 I suppose a complete dissassembly if the tube would be the first. I dont want to gorilla it apart since its a delicate antique and I dont want to depreciate the asthetic value by scratch and dents. I would think the "O"rings have been dry some time and the caps may not be easy to remove, however, a litle lubricaton works wonders, in some cases. Once I have it stripped down, Identification and inspection of the inventory, {I&I} to see what stays and what goes. I have no idea what some of the things are or do, so bear with me. Your floor Gentelmen:
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Simple:

Get a new length of Lexan, and you have the makings of an EZdriver. Make a servo foundation that fits to the dry side of the forward bulkhead and run a seal through the bulkhead to pass the pushrod.

Duh!

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Simple:

Get a new length of Lexan, and you have the makings of an EZdriver. Make a servo foundation that fits to the dry side of the forward bulkhead and run a seal through the bulkhead to pass the pushrod.

Duh!

M
              Yup, but simpiler way would be an RTR package. Ill go with the new tube tho so it will look nice in the pictures. Ive been checking out whats in the balast section and thinking of utilising parts elswhere. How much pressure will that little copper 1"x 2 3/4" tank take?

Nothing like CO2, if that's what you're thinking. I selected the flexible hose for the gas ballast sub-system because of it's 400 psi burst pressure. I don't want anything in that sub-system to see anything over 200 psi (propel, on a hot July day).

David
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-06-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

I was thinking air to launch a larger scale torpedo for the big type II that has its own battery power and micro motor on board. Im having some dificulty finding thinwall lexan by the foot. All day long in 6 ft sections extruded with 1/8th wall thickness and colors too. Really dont want 6feet of the stuff and 1/8th is too thick anyway

Comment

• Aug 2008

Use Propel to eject the weapon -- compressed air in that small bottle at 200 psi amounts to little more than a mouse fart.

E-mail me your needs as to the length of Lexan you need.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Im getting an extra cyl from mike with some more goodies to tinker with. As far as electronics kit and Txmiter /receiver Ive informed Mrs Clause about the 2.4 ghz and the 4 servo set. figgure it will take me awhile assemble the tubes innerds and fitted to the hulls, due to the holidays commitments. Wont have much free time till after the first of the year to mess with the boats much.

Comment

Working...