X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

"Wet" Batteries

If a Battery pack is fairly well waterproofed, can most types be used submerged in a flooded hall?.

I know that my "Brick" style lead acid battery states that it can be used submerged with no waterproofing...what about nicads, nimh, etc etc??

Thanks in advance
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I have submerged Nimh batts before with no problems, other than the battery to battery connections rusting some. What you can do is take the pack and carefully slice the cover so that it comes off. That way you can get to those connections and spray them down with your favorite lubricant as well as get any standing water out of the pack between dives. Then just slide the cover back on.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• subkraft
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Oct 2009

....I've dipped the whole pack in that Plastidip stuff. Seems to have worked okay so far....

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by subkraft
        ....I've dipped the whole pack in that Plastidip stuff. Seems to have worked okay so far....
        You have just created a culture-rich environment with that 'plastic dip' crap. The dip will keep the water (and water WILL get in there!) in contact with the battery cases and terminals, forever! How? Said water will eventually get by the output cables, either between the 'dip' or through the insulation. Your battery will die horribly!

Operate them wet so they have a chance to dry out at the end of the day. Hit the battery terminals with a dab of grease and you're good to go.

Bad move!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
          Commander
          • Nov 2013

Excellent...I was wondering about trapping moisture, as well as any heat generated within the coating...they shall be wet!
          A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kim Sleep
            Excellent...I was wondering about trapping moisture, as well as any heat generated within the coating...they shall be wet!
            Good man.

Unless your one of those crazy-good German operators, if your battery gets hot you're doing something terribly wrong!

M
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-01-2014, 10:22 AM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

The issue is not one of waterproofing the batteries, its the inevitable connection of said batteries to the WTC that I find fails in the end. Everything will be waterproof and work like clockwork, for a while. Numerous previous posts on this issue by myself with lovely pictures of waterproof connections. Longevity of the waterproof connections is the issue - not the batteries. Proof of concept can't be a couple of weekend patrols. If its still working as you intend after a month - well done, a year - I consider your method sound. But if like me you run boats many weekends throughout summer, I doubt the connections will take the man handling of disconnect / reconnect. This is a key reason I lobbied - threatened - David into re-tooling the 3.5" SD so it has a dedicated battery area forward and the conduit through the ballast tank.

If your using nice Lipo / Nimh packs, put the darn things inside a forward dry end of the WTC, internally conduit the power connection to the motor room and be done with it.
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

As John and Mark well know, if you badger me enough, you'll eventually get your way with me.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Shame it don't work with women.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

And on that note...........................wheres my Albacore phase 1?????????????????????????????? OH! How about the Albacore phase4 sail and operating rudder????????????????????????????????????? Oh! just thought I would eventually get my way with you.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                      Shame it don't work with women.
                      You know .... the moment I hit the 'enter' key on that post I knew there would be trouble.

... Andy!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                        And on that note...........................wheres my Albacore phase 1?????????????????????????????? OH! How about the Albacore phase4 sail and operating rudder????????????????????????????????????? Oh! just thought I would eventually get my way with you.
                        Thanks Mark- lets turn the heat up.
                        Phase 2 and 3 too.

J
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...